are there any other "Heavy" riders out there?

uniqueadventures
uniqueadventures Posts: 6
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
I'm 16 Stone and wondering whether I'm too heavy for a road bike. Although I'm heavy I'm not unfit, I'm tall (6'4" without shoes) and up until last year I played rugby to a high level aswell as regularly running, cycling, rowing and climbing.

My ideal weight is about 15 stone but even that seems quite a lot for a road bike especially the tyres. I have just bought a Trek 1.5 and even with properly inflated tyres had punctures both times I have been out on it.

In the past I have always ridden mountain bikes with road tyres on, but as I've started doing triathlons and never ride off road I thought I'd go for a road bike - I'm beginning to wonder if that was a mistake? I also intend to commute on it - If it can prove puncture resistant and reliable.

Is there anyone out there close to my weight who can offer any advice or tips on equipment and setup? or even just encouragement like - "I'm 16 stone and haven't had a puncture in 6months..." anyone...

Comments

• rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    m8 first off you are not too heavy for a road bike; I started riding in March this year and I weighed in at 18st, now at 15st 4 lbs, with a height of 6' 2", (so only 2 stone to go) :P

The punctures’ may be down to your tires, or/and the surface you ride on ( try to avoid the sharp stuff :lol: ) rather than your weight. I use Continental GP 4000 and do not want to temp fait. :wink:

There are loads of guys on here that started riding a lot heavier than you are now.

:!: :!:
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Was 20 stone now 15. You are not too heavy. Im scoring in races and finishing top 5 every week at the TT's, you just gotta want it enough. As for kit - dont buy crap or top of the ranhe superlight chains etc. Always use god quality tyres and invest in some good hand built wheels with 36 rear and a 28 or 32 front. This is a sport for all sizes. Weight is less relevant as long as it isnt mostly fat useless weight. Power to weight is what counts. Im extremely strong from the riding i did as a fatty and now the eight is coming off i still have the power! Top dollar! Keep it up.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    You're definitely not too heavy. The only area you may have concerns with are some top end wheels. Some have quite low max rider wieght as they strive to keep the weight of the wheel down.
  • millymoose
    millymoose Posts: 117
    Definitely not too heavy - I got a Trek 1.5 when I was 15 and a half stone in April - now 13st 12 - no probs so far (touch wood!)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When you say properly inflated, do you mean 100 psi+?

I just used to pump my tyres as hard as I could get them using a hand pump, used to puncture a lot. Then bought a track pump and was able to get some proper air in the tyres and hey presto (pesta?) - hardly and punctures (my only one in last 6 months was from going over a huge pothole in the dark at 30mph).
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    unique,
    A "heavy" friend of mine had punture problems. He switched to 28mm tyres and this cut the number of punctures considerably. Maybe this would help.
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Anonymous
    That should help too, although I would go for 25s. 28s are huuuge!
  • pottssteve
    Napolean,
    He tried 25s - no good! (He is rather, er, "heavy"). 28s were the biggest he could get on his Giant Defy - up until then he'd been puncturing on NEARLY EVERY RIDE... :shock:

The LBS loved him! :D
  • Anonymous
    25s will be fine for the OP's weight though...

Unfortunately this isn't a sport where us big hitters can really excel :( (Magnus Backstedt being an exception)
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    1+ on the 25's thats my size.
  • So just to clarify a few things;

the 23, 25 or 28 does that refer to the diameter of the tyre? The last two I've punctured were both 25s... so I'm guessing a 28 would be better? and would it be ok to have a 25 front and 28 rear?

Can the different sizes fit on most wheels?

I've seen these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 360028016/

anyone have experience with them? would they be worth investing in? If so what size would you recommend? Go with the 25s as they are a stronger tyre or just go 28 to be safe?

Also I know it's off the original topic but I think some of you probably have similar issues, I often find when I am riding on the flat I'd rather have a larger ?gear set? so that I don't have to pedal frantically to maintain speed. I've always found this is a problem on my bikes - I have plenty of power and would rather pedal slightly slower using more power than the other way around. What can be done about this or is it prohibitively expensive?

Does anyone else get a problem with the front deraillieur (spelling?!) rubbing the chain as you down pedal on that side? would this be improved with a double instead of a triple chainset?

Thanks in advance (sorry I seem to be asking a million questions all at once)
  • pottssteve
    Hi unique,

25, 28 etc. does refer to the tyre diameter. I see no advantage in having different sizes. If you've gone through a couple of 25s already I'd try 28s - my friend found these much better with fewer punctures. I've been recommended Continental GP 4 Seasons tyres as being punture resistant - I've just bought a pair today. They come in 28s.

Regarding the drivechain, what have you got on at the moment? It sounds as though you are strong and fast on the flat and have difficulty climbing hills. A triple would help with the climbing. On the flat use the big front ring and the smallest on the back - if you are still not going "fast enough" you could look at getting a bigger chain ring. However my triple has a 50 tooth big chain ring and this is usually OK for me. Chain rub can be caused by incorrectly aligned derailliers. It can also be caused by "poor" combinations of front and back rings - try to avoid having the chain at an angle - for example on the big chain ring and the biggest cassette sprocket.
    Steve
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    On the original topic I'm 6ft4 and just over 17st.

I wouldn't say I was fat, but I'm not quite at the peak of fitness due to my liking for ciders and ales. My top half definitely needs some work!

I'm cutting down currently, and aiming to do a lot more cycling. Have been averaging 26miles per ride recently - which isn't huge by any stretch of the imagination but I'm now at the stage where I think I can go further quite easily, it's more about having the time to do it!

Regarding punctures - as over the past few years I've been riding Mountain Bikes and Hybrids I've not had one for well over 2 years. Touch wood on a road bike (I'm borrowing one whilst waiting for my new one) I'm yet to experience a puncture. I'm on 25's, as I said borrowed from a family friend - he's around my height but a bit (OK a lot) leaner!
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • Get some anti puncture tape. They make your wheels a little bit heavier but considering you weigh 16 stones! It doesn't really matter! I weigh 15 stones as I do lots of weight training and have not had a puncture in over 2 years.

The only problem I find being heavier than the normal skinny cyclists is it's a bummer getting up hills. Link below for the tape.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7970
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

I've seen these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 360028016/

anyone have experience with them?

I've got one of them on the back, need to fit the front tomorrow,

I've done 1300 miles on a 23 section tyre with no visits from the p fairy so far. I commute to brum in all weathers and I weigh 13 stone.

Reccomended :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Heavy? lol

I started out on my road bike 2 months ago at 23 stone, now down to 20st5lbs. Whilst I used to body build, I am a fat ba*****.

I have Ultremo R 23's on my bike, pump them up to 120PSI+ and not had a puncture yet!

A friend of mine also had a bike at the same time (19 stone) which also had Ultremo R's on, and he kept getting punctures. As soon as I persuaded him to pump them up to 110PSI or more (from 80 the LBS put in) he hasn't had another one.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I think anything over 11 stone is considered heavy for a roadie... :lol::lol:
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    Thanks Matt :cry:

To answer the OP, I am 15st 3lbs (which for someone of 5'11" is kinda heavy) that's down from 18st last year though. Would say that road bikes can take alot more punishment than most people think (mostly people who haven't ridden a road bike). This is why anyone over 12st wanting to get into cycling goes straight for the hybrid / mtb thinking the road bike will buckle as soon as they look at it :roll:

To address other comments on the thread, I had a couple of punctures in the same month on the stock tyres (kenda kriterium) NO puncture protection. Have since got Conti-GP4000S and [Touch wood] I have not punctured on them yet [/Touch wood]. I think size is a red-herring though, that's more about comfort than puncturing (i.e. the thinner the tyre the more you feel the road). It's more about pressure for puntures, if you have some decent tyres (23-28mm) pumped to 100-120psi you should be fine.
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    not sure why no-one has suggested this yet but have you checked the inside of your rim for anything sharp? when I first got my bike I got punctures in the first two rides, after the second one I went round with a file and made sure every spoke hole was properly de-burred and haven't had another since (touch wood).

in reply to your original question I'm 6' 3" and was 15 stone when I started, the guy i ride with is 6' 3" and 18 stone and don't find it to be a problem.
  • lots of once were fat guys, 8)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Rockbuddy - I'm nearly 12 stone (5'8") so probably count as "heavy" too...!
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    I'm 6'3" and 16 and a half stone, so no light-weight. Since starting this year I've done two fairly short races on a road bike, no problems at all.

In my limited exerience, punctures can be caused by clumsily changing tubes and "pinching" them between tyre and rim, practise helped correct that problem!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • ... or even just encouragement like - "I'm 16 stone and haven't had a puncture in 6months..." anyone...

I'm 16 stone and haven't had a puncture EVER (in 2 years)!

I ride 23's pumped up to about 110psi on the rear (GP 4000). I think it's mainly attributed to the roads I ride (Sussex country lanes) which don't have any broken glass or anything sharp really. I've been worried about thorns and things, but touch wodd nothing yet...
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Im 12 - 7 and 5' 7" and my BMI has never been right since I was a sprinter as a youngster. If I was 12 or lower I would look skinny but im gonna aim for 12!
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    Garz wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Im 12 - 7 and 5' 7" and my BMI has never been right since I was a sprinter as a youngster. If I was 12 or lower I would look skinny but im gonna aim for 12!

If we're gonna talk BMI (not that I believe in it) then this is the first time in about 10years I've not been obese (i.e. below 30 on the BMI). I'm now only grossly overweight :lol: I'd have to loose another 2.5st to just be within the normal weight range and I would look emaciated! :shock: I'll just have to be a fat roadie :wink:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Rockbuddy wrote:

I'd have to loose another 2.5st to just be within the normal weight range and I would look emaciated!

Similar for me buddy, at least another in the BMI sucks category!
  • It's given me confidence to get on with it! I had the back wheel off today and realised the rim tape had somehow slipped revealing a tiny bit of spoke hole. The damage to the tyre was right here...

I've patched it and also given both front and rear some real pressure with the track pump, I don't have a gauge yet so i did have to guess a bit.

I'm gonna keep trying with the original tubes/tyres for now and see if I can manage without spending any more money for a little while! I just need to carry a spare tube and pump with me so I don't have to keep running home with my bike on my back (luckily I haven't swapped my cycling shoes onto this bike yet, otherwise there would be no running!

Thanks again

I'll be hanging around asking questions as I come up against news problems!
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    I had the back wheel off today and realised the rim tape had somehow slipped revealing a tiny bit of spoke hole. The damage to the tyre was right here...

hate to say I told you so but..... :lol::lol::lol: