Hill Climbs a days ride from London???????

ozbikeman
ozbikeman Posts: 13
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi Cycle Bloggers,

Being new to this area I don't know where any good climbs are can anyone help me?

I live in West London and being a very keen climber looking for the biggest and steepest hills I can find within a days ride from London.

Cheers OzB

Comments

• crispybug3
    crispybug3 Posts: 12
    Hampstead Hill will clean the pipes out!!!
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    There are some great hills in the Chilterns!
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • Make a loop of Hampstead Hill, Highgate Hill and if possible Muswell Hill all in North London
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    you can chuck in ally pally to that too - not as sharp and severe as the others, but you do get a 40mph descent down the wood green side...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Hiya, I'm also West London but tend to do most of my climbing around Box Hill. Only a few mins from Jct 9 on M25 and you'll be hard pressed to find steeper climbs anywhere local.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I live in King's Cross and I ride through Kentish Town, up Swain's Lane past Highgate Cemetery and on to Alexandra Palace. Then I loop back round over Muswell Hill, over the top of Hampstead Heath past the entrance to Kenwood House, down Haverstock Hill and on to do laps of Regent's Park.

Pete.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Another vote for Box Hill. You have the choice of a long windy climb up one side or a short, steeper climb up the other. Both should test your hill climbing abilities.
  • Brixtonfixed
    Brixtonfixed Posts: 127
    Yes, go to the Surrey Hills, it's excellent road cycling country, especially for climbing enthusiasts. You can construct some nice challenging loops - a favourite of mine was to start with Ranmore Hill from Westhumble then do Leith Hill out of Dorking (which I think is the biggest of the Surrey Hill climbs although I'm sure others will correct me if wrong). Further to the west, Winterfold Hill offers a serious, testing 21% gradient. You can finish up with Box Hill which is not particularly challenging in terms of gradient or length but good to attack as hard as you can. And it's got a superb cafe at the top.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I would say Alley pally is good if the road is better than the last time I used it ( from the woodgreen side going up ) :shock:

I a word ruff
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    The Surrey Hills have a good set of small hills :wink:

Box and Leith Hill are just little crests (I bloody wish)