campag neutron ultra- disaster!

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Ok... following my earlier post, I remembered I had a Park book on such things in the garage and set about dismantling greasing and rebuilding the errant hub.

It came apart fine, just like the book said, so I cleaned everything and went to put it back together... an hout later I had a wheel that still had a load of play in it, but now makes an odd rumbling noise when you spin it.

I think the problem is either in the non-drive side cup, as I can't seem to get it to sit snugly in the bearing with the axle through it (simply can't generate enough downward pressure to push it into place/keep it in place when the axle is introduced), the compression ring on the cup (does this sit snug within the cup?) Or the lockring, how far within the hub should it sit, as when I screw it down tight, I can't get my 2.5mm allen key in to tighten it the last turn or two.

All help appreciated as I need to ride said wheel and had a sleepless night terrified i'd destroyed it!
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I say cups, above, I of course mean cones. :oops:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent