Impossible Q - bike for sicknote?

Staffy_Mick
Staffy_Mick Posts: 20
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am more of a roadie than MTBer and havent looked at a mag or been into a shop for ages so Im a lot out of touch

I currently ride a 6-7 year old Epic when I want to get muddy :)

The Epic is a great bike but I have recently been told my the docs the neck pains I have been getting are more serious than I had thought and that I need to take it easier

They havent banned me from cycling but talking to them has given me a good reason to try out a new bike - and Im honestly not kiding LOL

So Im guessing a 2009/2010 mid travel bike is going to be a whole lot plusher than my old Epic isnt it?

But are some 5" bikes smoother or plusher than others?

I have figured here that moving from an old race bike to something more modern and mainstream is going to help, but on the other hand I dont want a lump of metal that I will never pedal uphill that quickly

Budget is open ended just not as far as the mickey take end of the spectrum
All of my stuff is ancient so probably looking at a full build

What would you suggest I try and demo?

I need a lightweight 5" travel or so modern full suss with as much of an emphasis on comfort as outright speed up or down hill

Im guessing the Stumpjumper would take some beating?

TIA

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    errrmm

sorry to put a spanner in the works BUT you are looking at it wrong i bike with more travel will just mean that rougher terrain will be as comfortable (or not) as the current bike.

the spring rate will be the same whatever travel.

maybe you need to look at position or what you are riding.

PS i am over simplifying the spring rate statement above but not by much. :wink:

maybe a bit more info on what the problem is might give some more ideas.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the reply

I have a degenerative neck or something
    Its not about to paralyze me but I need to take it easier

As my Epic is ancient and has limited travel I had guessed that a newer bike with more travel would be more supple - or not??
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the only way it might be more supple is with out the "lockouts".

a given weight will compress a spring a given length, fact.

the longer the travel the more the sag required for a "normal" ride so for the same weight rider a softer spring can be fitted. ( so what you are looking for is correctish).

But fitting a set of bars with a rise ( i guess your bike is flat bars low rise stem..)
    can make a big change to the forces on the upper body (more weight on the rear so maybe a saddle change).
    I think that bang for buck looking to your riding position will bring faster comfort and will then guide you better to the new bike.

Longer travel is harder to pedal without lock outs etc...

hope that makes sense.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown