Travel on Rock Shox Reba SL

lucieandpaul
lucieandpaul Posts: 267
edited July 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
One for Nick or Sonic probs...

At Glentress on Sunday my best mate wished he had the 100mm Travel in his Reba SL's like i did in my Rock Shox Recon Races.

After a discussion later, i remembered in my manual, that you can add/remove spacers to adjust travel to suit and I have a rubber spacer in the bag to do such.

His forks are OE supplied Reba SL's on a Rockhopper Pro, and are 80mm, he has a couple of spacers in his manual bag about 20mm long.

Is it likely that he will have 40mm spacers in there, which he can remove and replace with 20mm ones as he has them as spares to give 100mm travel for the rougher trails around here?

Cheers in advance.

Paul
www.cree-cottage.co.uk
4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If the forks are the 'all travel' version then you should be able to increase the travel

Some OE forks cannot be travel adjusted though

Increasing the travel will alter the handling & may invalidate the warranty. Spesh recommend only a 10% increase in travel on forks on their bikes.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what year, he should be able to take them to 100mm

download the service info from srams webby for the year of the forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lucieandpaul
    lucieandpaul Posts: 267
    Hi,

Sorry popped out to pick up the Mrs

His bike is an 09 Spec Rockhopper Pro Disc

Paul
    www.cree-cottage.co.uk
    4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    according to posts on here the forks if All travel should be adjustable to 100mm as part of a service.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr_mills
    mr_mills Posts: 79
    I've got an 09 Rockhopper pro which came with Reba SL forks. I found some instructions the other day showing how to get inside the left fork leg to add / remove spacers... there weren't any! So I don't think the travel can be adjusted on these.

BUT I then measured the travel (very easy to compress them all the way when you've let all the air out) and got 100mm.

I noticed that the Specialized website states that the Pro has 80mm forks whereas the lesser Rockhoppers have 100mm. I thought this had to be a mistake and I'm now pretty sure that it is.

I also noticed that What Mountain Bike's review of the Pro this month goes on about the 80mm travel and how they reckon you could fit 100mm forks instead. Does this mean they just looked up the bike on the Specialized website and quoted the 80mm travel rather than measuring it? And does this also mean that, if WMB recommend fitting longer forks it would actually be ok to fit 120s?

Would be very interested to hear from anyone else who has mucked about with these forks or who has fitted longer ones...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    100mm is the max amount for this bike.

Maybe some are fitted with 100mm instead of 80mm?