A New type of Speed camera!

2»

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    cee wrote:
    I also read somewhere that there need to be a certain number of accidents on a particular stretch in order for a camera to be intalled there.....

It might have only been in one council ward though...can't really remember the details.
    Nope, you're right. The transport secretary was on Top Gear once and he explained it. Jeremy Clarkson found it strange that they considered 2 of the accidents on the M6 to be people commiting suicide by jumping off bridges, as speed cameras can't change that.

Yeh but he also said we are not trying to catchyou out.. so why do the the mobile camera's hide around corners or in busshes and so on..

To be honest i agree witht he 30 limit in its entirety, but the 70 on the motorway i don't it was set many years ago when cars sucked and were no where near as safe (good brakes and so on) as now.
  • randomage
    randomage Posts: 100
    If they upped the limit to 80, a lot of people would be a lot happier, but a few other rules would have to be brought in with it, i.e. higher lorry speeds, and NO TRACTORS!!! They do my nut in anyway, doing 30 on the dualer. Minimum limits may also be an idea, say 50?
    "The day after tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. That way, you always have a couple of days in hand." - Bill Bailey
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    reckon there should only be cameras in accident blackspots
    slightly off topic but road relevant, i'd like them to ban caravans during hours of daylight, would have saved me loads of time this weekend in wales :evil:
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    cee wrote:
    I also read somewhere that there need to be a certain number of accidents on a particular stretch in order for a camera to be intalled there.....

It might have only been in one council ward though...can't really remember the details.
    Nope, you're right. The transport secretary was on Top Gear once and he explained it. Jeremy Clarkson found it strange that they considered 2 of the accidents on the M6 to be people commiting suicide by jumping off bridges, as speed cameras can't change that.

Yeh but he also said we are not trying to catchyou out.. so why do the the mobile camera's hide around corners or in busshes and so on..

To be honest i agree witht he 30 limit in its entirety, but the 70 on the motorway i don't it was set many years ago when cars sucked and were no where near as safe (good brakes and so on) as now.
    I'm not sure whether the mobile camera's are allowed to be hidden. Now I may be corrected, but I believe that they have to show somewhere that there is a camera ahead, for instance when you see a sign of a camera (the black and white one) it means that there may be a camera hidden somewhere soon. If there isn't one of those though, I recon you would probably win in court.
    That's why all the cameras are yellow, because people kept winning in caught with the excuse 'they couldn't see the grey camera box' The fact they were speeding of course is completely irrelevant...
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    Just a word of warning for any of you using the north of the M6. They have speed cameras on tripods on the bridges over the motorway, 3 of them, on for each lane. The van is out of sight to the left. There are no signs or anything and as the tripods are behind railings they are quite hard to spot from a distance as they blend in.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    The so called 'Safety Partnership' has to have yellow cameras (& probably signs), but the police can hide them anywhere they like - fake tradesman's vans, wheelie bins, anywhere.

As for a 50 minimum, I'd love to agree but my truck only does 47...! Rubbish.

Speed on it's own isn't any kind of problem - it's differences in speed that matter (eg. 50 & 90 on a M-way, or 40 & walking in town).
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • EmO_KiD
    EmO_KiD Posts: 788
    the goerment are dick heads its fun speeding. the think is every one dose it even the police but they seem o think cus they have been on a course which proberly just involves them sitting in a lecture room with power point they can drie safly at high speeds. stupid if u ask me.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    it isn't speed which kills, it's how fast you stop. :wink:
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Poor bleating little sheep....

Unable or unwilling to drive legally and then bleat when censured.

Don't drive illegally and there is no problem.

Driive illegally - then don't bleat when you get caught through your own stupidity.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    EmO_KiD wrote:
    the goerment are dick heads its fun speeding. the think is every one dose it even the police but they seem o think cus they have been on a course which proberly just involves them sitting in a lecture room with power point they can drie safly at high speeds. stupid if u ask me.
    Are you only 6 years old...? Or is this a p*ss take / wind up??? If you're serious, you're a tosser.

Infact, I agree. Going 80 in the middle of town, or round a resedential area is WELL fun!

If you want to drive fast - fine. Do it on a track. It only costs £20 for a run-what-you-brung, whole day at my local race track. Going fast IS fun. Seriously fun! It's why we MTB (and road cycle...), isn't it?

BUT, being a tosser, driving like a twat, and KILLING people on PUBLIC roads, becuase you think it's 'fun' to break the speed limits.... A little 6 or 7 year old girl got killed on a main road round by me, by a tw@t like yourself, speeding. If he was going at 30, he may have seen her in the road, and she'd still be alive.... If you want to drive fast and kill ONLY youself, then fine also.

But you can't guarentee, 100% that you're gonna spin off into a tree, alone, and not hit anyone else. I sincerely hope you either get sectioned, or banned from driving.

And no, I'm not saint. I do speed. But I promise you now, if I notice I've drifted over the speed limit (which NEVER happens in towns / resedential areas BTW), I'll engine-brake back to the limit. I'm 21, been driving 3 years (around 30,000 miles), no accidents, no crashes, no points.

Folks with attitudes like yours EmO_KiD enrage me.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    +1, well put!

GFs a paramedic, and while the blue light driving sounds exciting, it does take practise and a lot more concentration and skill than normal driving. And the training is certainly not just a powerpoint presentation.

But this is why I don't like speeding; the slower I drive, the longer it takes to reach a driver like emo_kid!!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    bails87 - IMHO, emergency services are totally different. They can do 60 in a 30 with a reasonable degree of safety, as they are trained to do it, have the lights and sirens blaring out, and are brightly coloured vehicles. They speed to SAVE PEOPLES LIVES, by risking their own. Courageous guys and girls.

EmO_KiD's car is probably black (emo-ified), with no lights on, ever. While he's trying to either smoke a joint, drink a beer or self harm AND drive.

Which is why knobs like him shouldn't be allowed to drive anything with more power than a shopping trolley...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke