Commencal Combi Disc or Rockhopper

iain.barker
iain.barker Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at buying my first mountain bike and was looking at buying a Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2009 until seeing that the Commencal Combi Disc 2009 is currently selling for around £470 about £110 cheaper than the Rockhopper. These bike were also very closely scored in a recent magazine review where the Combi score 9 and the Rockhopper but the review did not really give a reason for the difference in score.

Is the Rockhopper worth the extra money? The Commencal has a better fork but i am unsure how much difference there is in the frame and group set.

For example are the Avid Avid Juicy 3 brakes (Combi) better than Tektro Auriga Comp (Rockhopper).
And are the non Shimano part on the Combi inferior to the Shimano ones on the rockhopper.

I have lbs's in my area that stock both these bikes so i will be able to test before I buy but i am confused with the differences.

Comments

• i'm in the same situation too,any help appreciated
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    You can get the Commencal Combi for £420 at Leisure Lakes.

However, to answer your question, the Rockhopper would be worth the extra if it was the right bike for you. The only way to know is to ride one. I rode both and preferred the Rockhopper but I also tried a Genesis Core 20 (£550) which just felt right to me.

You can't deny for that money that the Commencal is an absolute bargain but will be a waste of £420 if it's not right for you.