New Wheels

rmhodv
rmhodv Posts: 83
edited July 2009 in The workshop
I have been using a Carrera Subway 1 for my daily commuting run of 14.5 miles each way for the past 2 years. The bike has been very reliable until recently when I had a spoke on the rear wheel go. That was last week and I took it to my LBS near to where I work, where they re-trued and replaced 3 spokes.. But this morning I have ahd another spoke go in the rear wheel.
I think that it may be tiem to replace the wheels. If so can I fit 700cc wheels on a Carrera Subway 1. At the moment it has the factory fit wheel which are 26".
:)

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    disc or rim brakes? I assume the subway 1 is a 26" wheeled MTB style bike?

If discs, you should be able to get 700cs to fit, but you need to make sure you get the correct hub spacing (will be 135mm rear hub width I dare say, but check it ... normal road bikes are 130) If rim brakes you will need adapters, which mavic make but they're expensive (25 quid per wheel iirc) and so not really worth the investment
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Have you got the clearance is the question you need to ask. Presuming a current MTB 26" at 559mm diameter will you get a 622mm wheel in? Can you adjust your brakes to reach the rims?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • duron1
    duron1 Posts: 2,475
    Im pretty sure that the 700c wheels wont fit and the subway 1 had v-brakes and they wont adjust higher enough for the larger rims. Also yes, the spacing is 135mm.
    Commuter: Saracen Vex '03 (Full XT drivetrain, Rockshox Tora 302 80mm, Conti Touring Plus..etc)

MTB Hardtail: Orbea Satellite - Team Colours '08 (Full XTR drivetrain, Reba Teams, XC717s - Hope Pro II, Fire XC Pro 2.1...etc).
  • rmhodv
    Thanks for the replies. I have just found an old post here on bike radar

Having looked in to it a bit more I agree that fitting 700cc wheels is not going to work.

Instead I think I will stick with 26" wheels. Does anyone have any recommendations for under £25?

I am going to clad them with Continental Ultra Gator Skins (26 x 1.2 wire)
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    You are going to be stuck at finding a wheel for under £25 that will do the job of commuting the miles that you do.

:(

Try for secondhand then save like mad for a handbuilt one. There will be someone local I am sure that can advise, or try Stevo at Roadace.co.uk.
  • rmhodv
    Thanks for the advice cranks. :)
    Managed to buy a wheel ok. It will do the job for the time being. Hopefully I'm getting a new bike soon via C2W.
    It was a bit of a pain to fit though. The Subway 1 has a 7 speed cassette, whereas most rear wheels are designed for either an 8 or 9 speed cassette. The hardest part was finding someone that had a spacer in stock. In the end the chap in Halfords gave me an old cog to use instead.
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    You can get a spacer on ebay for a couple of quid