Brake fluid

-liam-
-liam- Posts: 1,831
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it the case that once a bottle of dot 4 fluid is opened it should be used or chucked ?

Can it absorb moisture to such a level once the foil seal is broke that it becomes quickly contaminated? The lid is far from air tight you see.

I bought a bottle about 8 months ago to bleed my front brake. The lever is still solid now.
I bled the rear about a month later and for the last couple of months the lever has been getting closer to the grip. I changed the pads the other day and re bled it and I just can't get the lever as solid as the front still is, don't get me wrong is is great and the bite point is well off the bars but I reckon it will back up pretty quick.

Would I be better off getting some fresh fluid ? or perhaps will I just never get the rear as solid as the front because of the length of the line ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is kept sealed it can last for some time.

I am actually using some that i bought quite some time ago.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I don't think the lid is very good. I can't tighten it very well. It just clicks, cross threads and is loose again. It isn't a big issue, just wondering. I've got no leaks or anything, pads wear even and everything.