How much should I spend?

Jack_is_Back
Jack_is_Back Posts: 27
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello all :)

I've been into MTBing on and off for 15 years and have decided I need to replace my old hardtail GT Karakoram (which must be over 10 years old now!).

I've done a fair bit of research in the local bike shops and on the internet to decide what I want, but the bit I'm struggling with is how much to spend. I would be comfortable spending around £2,000 but wonder if that would be a waste of money for the type of riding I'll be doing (medium-duty XC and trail stuff mainly but would like an all-purpose machine). I'm not into racing and would be using it once-or-twice per week.

The only other consideration is that I'm a slightly-built fella so a lightweight bike is fairly high on my wish list.

How much would you spend given these considerations?
Trek Fuel EX 8 '09

Comments

• £2,500 :twisted:
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Sorry fella, not quite sure what you are getting at here.

Spend as much or as little as you are willing to, simples.

The more you spend, the better quality the parts and the lighter you can go (generally speaking).
  • £2,500 :twisted:
    Very tempting as there's some real nice stuff out there for that money, I was drooling over the Trek Fuel EX 9 yesterday.

Boringly, I'm just trying to be sensible and get value for money.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09
  • If you're being practical then the Fuel EX 8 is a brilliant bike for the cash. And you'd get change from your budget.
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    £2k is a good budget. It's easy to get carried away with what is, after all, a bicycle but £2k will get you a decent FS bike or a great HT. What's on your shortlist?
  • Sorry fella, not quite sure what you are getting at here.

Spend as much or as little as you are willing to, simples.

The more you spend, the better quality the parts and the lighter you can go (generally speaking).
    I'm just trying to judge what price point would best suit my requirements. I know I do not need to spend £5k but was after some opinions on roughly where to set my budget. I haven't bought a bike for over 10 years so am going through a re-learning process.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09
  • ropey2009
    ropey2009 Posts: 2
    Ok so lets be honest, we all spend WAY too much on our bikes. We can't help it. You are right in asking the qustions, "Do I need a 2k bike?". Sure you will feel great and it will look cool. Howeevr now I am getting on a bit (in my 40's) I find myself asking two questions:

1. Who am I actually buying this for? Me or the people who will see me on it?
    2. Will it make me a better cyclist?

My advise is to temper enthusiasm with brains. You can get a good 1k bike and have a great holiday with the other 1k.

Either way, boys will have their toys!
  • Shortlist so far:

- Trek Fuel EX 8 (is the 9 worth the extra cash?)

- Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Two rather predictable choices no doubt; if anyone can point me to some similar less mainstream alternatives I would be grateful.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09
  • Jonesy.
    Jonesy. Posts: 94
    I don't know much about full suspension bikes, but those are in the right price range for a good set up. I believe the Cannondale Prophet is a good one too.

However, you could get a really great hardtail for less, such as the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Kona Kula, Gary Fisher Hookooekoo, or something more niche like a Cube Ltd. I wouldn't spend more than around £1,500 though unless you want a race machine.

Note: higher-end bikes designed for XC racing handle differently to 'trail friendly' all-rounder bikes. The riding position is usually stretched out and the handling is more 'nervous'. See Cannondale Taurine 4 or Scott Scale 30 as racey hardtail examples.

Your best bet is to test out a few different models, both full suss and hardtail, and then decide what you want. And as ropey says, spend the other 1k on a holiday, or loads of great bike gear!
    3638691414_5b54d86f20.jpg