Spokes keep breaking.

simonkirton
simonkirton Posts: 13
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 6 month old Specialized Epic which I use weekly for 3hr XC rides.
I am breaking individual spokes on the rear wheel on a pretty regular basis.
In the last month or so I have replaced 3 spokes.
I have never had the problem on my previous bikes, my routes are mostly single track and bridlepaths, and the same ones I have been riding for a couple of years.
I am struggling to understand why this is happening.

I was wondering if there is a known problem with the spokes/wheels with this bike.
The bike has has DT Swiss 420 rims, with DT Swiss competition 1.8/1.6mm spokes.

Does any one know of any issues with these spokes, or of any reason why the spokes should snap on such a regular basis ?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    are you erm .... lardy? 1.8/1.6 spokes are very light. I recall that there's a max rider weigth on them but not sure

Are the spokes being replaced under warranty by the shop or are you having it done yourself? If not by the shop, have you asked them and what did they say?

perhaps spoke tension is too low / high? I suppose the whole wheel has been checked by who ever is replacing the spokes, what do they think?

there you go, I answeed your question with 3 more. Perhaps I should go into politics :wink: :oops:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where are they breaking? If at the elbow, it is usually a sign of fatigue - and the others will follow. The solution is to replace all the spokes in one go on that side of the wheel. And have it built properly.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ^^^

get the rear wheel re-built completely try using revolutions as opposed to comps as they're a little stronger.

If you want really light and strong try sapim cx-ray spokes instead!
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    As supersonic says, replace all the spokes
  • Thanks to all for the good responses....to answer a couple of the qstns from bomberesque:
    I am no whippet thats for sure,...around 13 stone I guess.
    They break just above the nipple.
    I asked a shop and they suggested I check to see if there was a known recall on the bike/spokes or they felt it could be a dodgy batch of spokes.

If the problem continues I think I will replace all the spokes with something stronger.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you followed up the suggestion?

as there have been alot of Specialized wheel issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Spesh tend to use crap spokes - many of the bigger hitting bikes have 1.8 PG :?