Search for XC tyres over!

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Been looking for some good XC tyres for ages - my Stumpy came with Fast Trak Pros - they roll really well but are more than hopeless in any mud.

So I tried Conti MK Protection - MUCH better in mud but they do drag a bit on roads (yes I'm a real life rider that does actually ride on tarmac!).

Racing Ralphs wear too quickly, Conti Race King are hopeless if it's damp, Maxxis are all too heavy, etc.

So read a test of the new Spesh Sauserwind in ST mag and they won the XC race section - so bought some and they are BRILLIANT! Roll very fast, corner well on tarmac (round shoulders) and grip nicely in mud. And hald the price of RRs too!

If you want some XC tyres that are very fast but do actually grip off road, look no further.

Also got some slicks...

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Or just have two pairs of tires and swap when you are riding on the road...
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    yeh but that's getting to be a pain especially if you vary your riding or have to vary your riding.

Cheers Matt, I shall check them out later, do you have a link for them handy?
  • Andy
    But the point is, if you are riding a both on and off road but only want one pair of tires you will have to go for a serious compromise both on and off road.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Well the point is to find something that bridges that very tricky gap to a satisfactory level. Personally I'd say Conti Traffic 09s do that but there is a silly weight penalty with them, now that doesn't bother me too much because of what they offer, and can do, but I'd swap in a heart beat if there was a genuine 500 - 600g alternative available.
  • Surf-Matt
    I bought them from my LBS (they were cheaper than on-line) but they are also here:

Review

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... yres-33005

To buy (this is a very good price):

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=32240

The slicks are for a road biased tri me and wife are doing in a fortnight. She's using a road bike (just bought one), I'll have a go on slicks - my MTB is a fair bit racier than hers.

Andrew - fair enough but these really do seem to work well in most conditions. Will stick the MKs back on for Winter. The Sausers are for dryish stuff, the slicks are for road biased racing. The Sausers are also very light too.
  • CommandoBoy
    CommandoBoy Posts: 173
    Id reccomend the CST Cheyenne. Great off road and doesnt drag too much on road
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    Cheers Matt, I may give those a whirl. Still got the factory Fastrak LKs on my 'hopper and while I like the performance on road and hard-pack they are, ultimately, useless on anything loose.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Ooh, you're not wrong about the mountain king tyres being draggy on the road. Just been round the block after fitting them & you could feel them wanting to hold onto the tarmac!

Looking forward to trying them out tonight on some loose stuff now!
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Are they still only available in 1.8 or have the 2.0's hit our shores yet? My mate has some 1.8's but they seem a bit skinny to me (i have The Captains in 2.0 which do seem mentally wide for a 2.0) :?
  • Surf-Matt
    Only 1.8s and they do look skinny but I'm quite a fan of that "look" - proper aggressive XC racer. Just been out on our new road bike (Spesh Allez Elite 2010) - now those are what I call skinny tyres!!
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    Just got some Rocket Rons as standard on my new bike. Lovely so far. Bit skittish over loose gravel (as most are) but has the sweatest carving edge, makes that lovely purring noise when u carve that perfect apex. Roll okay on tarmac as well.

Does any one know if the Rons or the Racing Ralphs are designed to go quicker, like for XC racing?
  • Andy
    Ralphs are meant to be faster.
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    oh. I was confused as 'rocket' implied quick. So the Rocket Ron is the midway ground between Ralphs and Nobby Nics?
  • Andy
    Well Racing Ralphs are therefore obviously for racing so they must be fast as well ;)
  • Surf-Matt
    Hey Matt,

Like the look of these 8)

Any idea of the weights per tyre?

ST mag got 450 grams - pretty good!
  • adb1006
    My mate is selling his as he's just replaced them with some Mountain King 2.2's - has an AM bike and the skinny tyres just looked wierd - so i may purchase them and give them a go - they should look at home on the Lobster 8)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i rather have loads of rolling resistance but have grip off-road, maxxis ignitors for me!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Surf-Matt
    I do a fair bit on hard pack tracks and road. I also like going as fast as possible up hills and on the flat.

adb - how wierd - your mate has done the opposite to me!
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Hey Matt,

Like the look of these 8)

Any idea of the weights per tyre?

ST mag got 450 grams - pretty good!

Cool, thanks Matt.

I even emailed Specialized directly and they didnt know! :roll:
  • adb1006
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    I do a fair bit on hard pack tracks and road. I also like going as fast as possible up hills and on the flat.

adb - how wierd - your mate has done the opposite to me!

:?

He's got a Spesh P All Mountain with DT 5.1 rims and the skinny XC tyres just looked gash on it (especially as they replaced 2.3 Eskars!). The Mountain Kings are much more in keeping with the build.

I think i may take a punt on the Sauser's to replace my The Captains once they're dead.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    [/quote]ST mag got 450 grams - pretty good![/quote]
    Highroller 62a in 2.1 is only 480, not heavy and worth a look.
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/High-Roller.aspx
    I've running this up front and it runs really well with far more grip than I had with the Ignitor.