adding a new chain.. change cassette too or not?

KnightofCydonia
KnightofCydonia Posts: 957
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at getting a better chain soon, I'm not too impressed with the basic one which came on it & have a history of easily snapping the shimano ones to shreds. If I was to add a good sram one, would it be best if I changed my cassette or not? Ideally I don't want to but if it'll make a huge difference to shifting then it's something I'd consider.
Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
17st 10lbs August 2009
17st 4lbs October 2009
15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs

Comments

• grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Depends how worn it is. When I got a new chain I found it was the middle ring on the front that needed changing - it kept slipping in that gear. Everything else was fine though.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    what casette do you have at the moment? If you're not sure than look at it through the other side of teh wheel; are the biggest rings supported on a spider or are they separate rings? If on a spider, yuo already have a pretty high end cassette.

I would only change the casette if it was worn or I wanted to upgrade. To see if it's worn, the easiest way is to run a new chain on it. If it skips constantly then it's worn.

as for upgrading the chain, I'm not really sure how much difference there is tbh. I have also snapped shimano chains in my time but usually I find that the next one is fine.

The best way to both avoid chain snapping and to improve shifting is to keep the drivetrain properly clean and the cables in good order
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Cassette Shimano, 11-34, 9 Speed
    Chain Shimano HG53

is the 'official' wording.

I like sram, i've ridden them on mates bikes and they always felt good and havign the powerlink just helps no end. I know I can add one to my current chain but I dunno, i don't really like it :lol:
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Cassette Shimano, 11-34, 9 Speed

there are several shimano casettes, Deore LX, SLX, Deore XT, XTR just to name the top half of the range. If the biggest rings are supported on a spider rather than being separate sprockets, then it is already a top end (SLX-XTR iirc) cassette

I'm not honestly sure if shifting is improved by changing from a deore cassette to an XT one, I suspect that keeping the whole thing clean would make more of a difference.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • being a marin, I doubt it is :) They're usually scrimping on the parts, but the frame is gorgeous and has a lifetime of possiblities.
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

• from looking at it, hg73 chain is the SLX so i'm guessing hg53 is either deore or alivio.
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just wait until the chain wears out. You will not notice any difference at all with a new one.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    If teh cassette is not too worn , ie less than 500 miles and well maintained then a new chain should be OK and may improve shifting; key to it all is keep chain well cleaned / lubed :) ...and possibly rotate chains to extend cassette life