BB noise

Zeroman_IR
Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
The bottom bracket on my Meta 5.5.2 '08 has started making a clicking noise when pedaling. It doesn't happen all the time and happens more frequently in the middle ring up front (replaced the big ring with a bash) and the smaller rings on back, though it can happen in any gear. Does this mean the BB is going and, if so, how long before it spits out it's little greasy innards completely? I would be surprised if it is as I've only been using the bike regularly for about 3-4 months now, though it was sat idle since last Summer previous to that. I know that Truvativ BBs don't have the greatest reputation for longevity however so I can't rule it out. Any opinions?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    could be. check for play in pedalsetc. and read the info in the link in the FAQs as you need to remove any other posibilities.

but the first thing i would check is the tightness of the chainring bolts and the tooth condition.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    Chainring bolts are fine, torqued to spec for the E13 Supercharger. Like I said, I just find it odd that it'd go this quick. I'm pretty sure it's the BB, thought it might be the rear hub initially but it only happens when I'm pedaling and loading the cranks a bit. Happens at the same point in the rotation too. There's no play as yet I think (I'll check properly tomorrow) but today was the first time this started so I'd imagine it's just starting to go.