Superstar Components - brake pads - off ebay

stueyscott
stueyscott Posts: 112
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Any one bought Superstar brake pads off ebay?

£20 including delivery for 4 pairs for the Avid Alixir pads - i've bought some to give them a go, just wondered if others had tried them?

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    stueyscott wrote:
    Any one bought Superstar brake pads off ebay?

£20 including delivery for 4 pairs for the Avid Alixir pads - i've bought some to give them a go, just wondered if others had tried them?
    I've used the sintered Juicy pads for about 18 months.When bedded in correctly they're as good as(if not better than) any others i've used.I trashed the stock Avid pads in less than 20 wet miles in the Dark Peak.I now religiously bed pads in and get around 200ish miles out of the rear and more from the front 8)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ibbo68, how do you get more life out of your front pads?
  • sniper68
    ibbo68, how do you get more life out of your front pads?
    I tend to use the back brake a lot more than the front.On some of the really steep technical stuff around here touching the front would result in pain :shock: I generally get through 2/3 sets of rear to 1 set of front.
  • stueyscott
    The pads that came with the bike have managed no more than 60 miles, 20 of which was a very wet Cwmcarn on Friday, but the rear ones are almost gone! I used to get loads of miles out of the shimano pads on my other bike.

Will give these superstar ones a go though - at £16 for 4 pairs you can't go wrong, if they work that is.
  • stueyscott
    How do you bed pads in?
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    search or google search, bedded in my pads
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • sniper68
    stueyscott wrote:
    How do you bed pads in?
    Do 10-15 HARD DRY stops without locking the wheels.Best to do it on Tarmac.Some people then spray water on the pads/rotor and repeat.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Superstar brake pads are brilliant.

Ive got them fitted on both my bikes (Avid Codes)
    Try a mix of sintered and organic.
  • mark1892
    mark1892 Posts: 77
    I have just bought 4 pairs of superstar pads for my xtc. has anyone got a review of their performance, wear rate etc :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like 'em too... They do get a few reports of premature failures- abrasive pad coming off the backing, usually- but I've had no issues myself. Performance and lifespan seems to be about the same as my XT's standard pads (which means good braking and inexplicably long life, so far).
    Uncompromising extremist
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Bought a couple of pairs to replace those on my Giant when they wore out and I've got to say I haven't noticed any difference between them and the originals.....bit of a bargain I think.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • mark1892
    mark1892 Posts: 77
    well ordered them yesterday at 2pm and got them in the post this morning at 10.30, outstanding service and hopefully just as good performance. if you ever need pads in a hurry i totally recommend these guys. :)
  • sniper68
    I've had 1 ride with the Kevlar pads in my Juicy Ultimates(rear) and i'm not overly impressed,they were good until they got wet/muddy then lost a bit of bite.I'll use them until they're shot but then i think i'll go back to SS sintered,which never lost any bite/feel whatever then conditions 8)
  • TomBeardsley
    TomBeardsley Posts: 150
    ibbo68 wrote:
    stueyscott wrote:
    How do you bed pads in?
    Do 10-15 HARD DRY stops without locking the wheels.Best to do it on Tarmac.Some people then spray water on the pads/rotor and repeat.
    Don't pour water on the rotors. The change in heat from on part of the rotor to another as it cools means that it can distort and untrue the rotor. This happened to me when I showed a mate how hot they were with a bottle of water. Bad idea
    "Pain is temporary, success is permanent"
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I use superstar pads - never had a problem and they are just as good as the ones that came with the bike when it was new. Cant argue with the price either.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Their bottom brackets are legendarily s**t, mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sniper68
    ibbo68 wrote:
    stueyscott wrote:
    How do you bed pads in?
    Don't pour water on the rotors. The change in heat from on part of the rotor to another as it cools means that it can distort and untrue the rotor. This happened to me when I showed a mate how hot they were with a bottle of water. Bad idea
    Don't pour,spray.I've done it on every set of Disc brakes i've had.They get very hot and wet in normal UK riding anyway :D
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I've bought a set as I noticed my rears were getting a tad low.

Cheaper to buy them though ebay rather than going direct on the website too, which is quite odd!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3