'Jangling' disc

drh9uk
drh9uk Posts: 16
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having some issues with my front disc brake, in that having taken the wheel off and back on, it was rubbing. I've loosened the calipers, and reset and tightened it which has solved the rubbing but I still get a 'jangling' sound, like metal on metal, whenever I am cycyling at any sort of speed (ie above 10mph) and when I am not travelling in a straight line. That is that whenever te bike is leaning left/right.

Any ideas what this could be? It's almost as if the rotor is loose on the wheel, or the wheel itself is loose but both seem fine on basic inspection!

Any ideas gratrefully received!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is the pads hitting the disc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drh9uk
    drh9uk Posts: 16
    Can it be easily stopped/fixed?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it can also be the spring on certain brands.
  • Hunders
    Hunders Posts: 22
    I get that jangling sound when I get to a certain speed, too. It seems to be coming from my rear disc though.

Is this considered to be fairly normal or shall I take it back to Halfords as I only bought it 4 days ago.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    me too, a light tap on the brake lever stops it, all bolts are tight and brakes were as expected so I guess its just one of those noises!
  • hondafanatic
    hondafanatic Posts: 213
    I have this on my avid elixicer Rs, just the rear one.... (excuse the spelling error).

It sounds like pocket change rattling. Although if I get off the bike to inspect it, there is a very slight high pitched squeal where there is obvious contact.

The disc is straight and it has done this since new.

I've tried realigning, but after a certain time it returns. If I brake hard or drag the rear brake it disappears.

It also disappears when I'm putting effort on the cranks i.e. if I freewheel it's noisey as hell, but pushing on and it's silent.
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.