Swapping Wheels?

Gary D
Gary D Posts: 431
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Just out of curiosity, you guys that swap between different sets of wheels for general/best or racing/training etc, do you swap cassettes and chains as well - or do you have a specific cassette and chain for each wheelset?

If you have the latter, is it possible to simply swap wheels without having to fettle with the limit screws and indexing every time?

I have just bought myself a set of "best" wheels and wondered what the best approach was. If it is too much faffing about then the temptation will be to just leave the "best" wheels on all the time - which means they won't stay best for long :cry:

Thanks,
Gary.
Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    My "best" wheels have their own cassette. Both sets of wheels get 6 months of use each year (not systematically) it just works out that way.

Nothing wrong as far as I can see.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Cassettes on all wheels (they do get swapped about at times). I just use the wheels I want in which ever bike I want at the time. Never change the chain. Chains get changed at 0.75% worn. Still using cassettes from 3 or 4 years ago. For winter bike that gets all the cr*p thrown at it disregard this.
    You should not have to adjust the limit screws but may have to do some 'fine tuning' with the index. More often not.