Disc brakes squealing after contact with water

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 93
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Trek 6500 (2009) mountain bike. Yesterday was a dry day although some cars soaked me on a flooded road - great!

It wasn't a massive amount of water, but it did cover the bike.

The issue was that everytime I applied the break it made a herrendous (sp?) and loud squealing noise. It was really annoying, especially as it's a very good bike, with a small amount of water.

Can I expect this to happen anytime it gets wet? Is there anyway to stop it as it's unbearable?!

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very common with wet brakes. Check all the bolts are done up correctly.
  • redrabbit
    redrabbit Posts: 93
    Supersonic - thanks I'll try and check that.

The bike is virtually brand new. It's about 8 weeks old, and has hardly been ridden. But will check anyway, just in case.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They need checking before every ride really.
  • Did you bed the brakes in properly?

Unbedded brakes tend to wear + make more noise than bedded brakes in the wet.
  • My Juicy Carbs make top noises when wet, when moist hey even when dry. I like lets people know your coming and tells me to ride faster haha
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • My Hopes always squeal after going through water. Soon stops once the damp has burned off. You could try putting some Copperslip on the back of the pads; that helps quite a bit. Don't get it on the front though!
    Frank Yates
  • My breaks always sqeal after washing/getting the bike wet, you just have to wait for it to stop raining and pull the brakes hard a few times and then it stops.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    My hope screams when wet or dirty, i like to imagine the pads are alive and in a great deal of pain and are telling me to stop it (am i really that troubled?)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    My Mono Minis squeal after they get wet, but only for a couple of times.