C2W-What bike?

idj123
idj123 Posts: 5
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Firstly, apologies if this is covering old ground-just registered on bikeradar and haven't trawled though the old posts yet. I've just renewed my C2W Scheme through my Company and opted for the maximum £1000 this time around. Last year having just got back into cycling since I was in school (a long time ago now!) I played safe and went for a hybrid (the Subway 2). The question is do I go for an out and out racing bike or perhaps a cyclo-cross? The state of the roads where I ride (come to think it, the state of the roads in this country, period!) means I'm tempted by the latter as it obviously allows a fatter tyre, which I assume will mean less punctures? However, the thought of a Dolan Mythos is quite attractive (or is this too big a leap from a hybrid?)

Any comments gratefully received!

Comments

• pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    Would you be using the bike solely for commuting, or would you hope to get out at weekends for a longer spin? If the latter then definately go for a racer.

A fatter tyre does not mean less punctures, so don't let that put you off.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    When I used my MTB for commuting I think I actually used to get more punctures than I get now with my road bike. Perhaps something to do with higher tyre pressure or the fact that a narrower tyre means less surface area in contact with the road, so perhaps less chance of you actually hitting that shard of glass...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just know I'm going to regret saying this, but I've been riding 25mm tyres since September and I haven't had a single puncture. And since I've done quite a bit of riding at night, that's involved a few potholes.

Get a road bike, you know you want one!
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    keef66 wrote:
    I just know I'm going to regret saying this, but I've been riding 25mm tyres since September and I haven't had a single puncture. And since I've done quite a bit of riding at night, that's involved a few potholes.

Thinking about it, I agree. Went ove a pothole a couple of weeks ago and heard a pop, and stopped, thinking the inner was blown. Turned out that the presta valve focred it's way straight through the dustcap and then sealed again!
  • ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    I'd thoroughly recommend the Focus Cross bikes.

I bought one on the C2W scheme and it has been exceptionally robust and much quicker than the hybrid I had used before.
  • idj123
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think you've pushed me in the direction that deep down, I wanted to be pushed! I'll say this quietly (as it's a c2w scheme bike), but it's less about commuting, more about weekend, charity and sportive riding!

Slightly hamstrung in terms of choice as I have to use Halfords (who don't source Focus bikes), but I've checked it out and the all carbon Dolan Mythos is sourceable-I'll just get the fitting done at the LBS. So it's Mythos here I come-what sort of time improvement will that give me over the hybrid, I wonder?!
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Don't get too sucked into the idea that carbon MUST be better. I was talking to someone who was riding back from Rivington on a club run recently. He rides a steel bike and his mate rides a Ribble Nero Corsa (same frame as the Mythos I think). They agreed to swap bikes and guess what?

The guy who rides the steel bike hated the Ribble - he said it was BORING, and that's a carbon frame........LOOOOOOOOOOL.

As for his mate, he jumped on the steel machine and said it was the dog's b****cks, he now wants to trade in his Ribble for either steel or Titanium!

For the C2W - go for a 7005 alloy bike. One that looks seriously classy is this one:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec016937

Though you might struggle to find one. Which part of the country do you live in?
  • idj123
    Mmm, interesting insight PianoMan, not sure if Halfords are able to source Bianchi bikes but I'll ask the question of them. I'm in the Surrey/Hants borders areas and so plenty of hills practice on the hybrid-be interesting to see what difference a road bike makes on these!
  • MyPace
    MyPace Posts: 12
    i had a cyclocross and just swapped it for a boardman road bike. The problem with cyclocross bikes is that they seem to be lower spec for the same cash, cyclocross tyres seem to puncture easily on glass so you end up running road tyres anyway and most of them don't actually have mounts for mudguards/rack either (e.g. the Focus ones). Steel bikes are quite comfortable but they are also quite pricey! Some of the cheaper Dawes might be affordable.

I went for a boardman team carbon in the end as i couldn't find anything as good for the money. i thought if i don't like the racy position i can sell the frame/forks as they fetch a bit on ebay and replace them with some more relaxed and upright.

So far though its been pretty good. Had to swap the stem round so it gave a higher position though!