Is there something depressing about Hampshire?

Ruari
Ruari Posts: 217
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Just a question, as when I went for a cycle around Winchester/Romsey/King's Somborne, I rode past several cyclists, greeted them all, and was met with stony indifference. Apart from another roadie wearing a KOM jersey who gave me a cheery wave. I know if you're cycling eyeballs out, it's not always practical to acknowledge another rider, but if you're out on a sunday spin, let's be friendly! For the record, I'm not from Winchester, but I found the surrounding roads very cyclist friendly and the motorists were particularly accommadating, so I had a very enjoyable 30M ride.
FCN 1

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Such is random distribution. Another day, everybody will wave deliriously at you.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,701
    I'm considering stopping waving to annoy people.
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Was sent to school in Hamoshire and your right it is a bit cack.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    It must just have been an off day. I went for a cycle in east Dorset. Just west of Ringwood and every cyclist from the granny out for a ride on her shopper to the fit roadie that overtook me waved or otherwise recognised my presence as did all the walkers and some of the drivers.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I dont see why anyone would get so upset by this. Do you wave at other drivers when you're in your car? Or at other people wearing the same colour trousers when out shopping? :lol:
  • Never had a problem.

I'm in north Hampshire,close to its border with west Berkshire.

Generally I receive a polite acknowledgement from others on their bikes, whether roadies or MTB riders, keen cyclists or just those enjoying a weekend meander round the lanes. Horseriders also, almost without exception, proffer a cheery 'hello'.

But, if they don't it really doensn't trouble me. I still enjoy my ride.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Must have been an off day. I live in the area (for the next few weeks anyway), ride around the places you mention and have never had a problem with other roadies waving or saying hello. Been injured for the last few weeks so not been out but I doubt it's changed any.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Found them in Portsmouth to be welcoming considering I was from the dark side. Went to see TdF in Le Harve and met up with the local cycling club on the boat and they welocmed me to join them. The only thing they did say was 'Are you faster than our slowest rider?' Couldn't answer as we were on the dockside at 6am.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Were you wearing your Gordon Brown jersey again? :lol:
    Cycling weakly
  • Ruari wrote:
    Just a question, as when I went for a cycle around Winchester/Romsey/King's Somborne, I rode past several cyclists, greeted them all, and was met with stony indifference. Apart from another roadie wearing a KOM jersey who gave me a cheery wave. I know if you're cycling eyeballs out, it's not always practical to acknowledge another rider, but if you're out on a sunday spin, let's be friendly! For the record, I'm not from Winchester, but I found the surrounding roads very cyclist friendly and the motorists were particularly accommadating, so I had a very enjoyable 30M ride.
    Yes I know what you mean I was up Derbyshire yesterday doing some nasty hill climbs and the difference in attitude is very noticable.I think its down to the fact that northerners are friendlier in general.My experiance with a southern club is that people will mutter and grumble behind your back while northerners are a bit more forthcoming and can take some stick and are willing to give it in return, and they will wave at you, I was flapping my arms about like a madman trying to fly yesterday.Drivers do give you more room, I only had to look behind me coming up to a nasty hairpin corner and the driver backed off rather than the usual thing of southern drivers trying to squeeze past you at every oportunity with thier horn blaring.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    skyd0g wrote:

Is that the one that says "RESIGN!!!" on the back?
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    downfader wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

Is that the one that says "RESIGN!!!" on the back?

No, the one with bloodstains and knife slashes on the back morelike :wink:
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Ruari wrote:

Stick with it, it is indeed good training territory with lots of lumps and bumps to keep things interesting (there's a particularly tough one in Wherwell village complete with hairpin for reinactment of Alpe d'Huez fantasies :wink: ). If you see a bloke out on a yellow/blue Look carbon bike with matching bright yellow tyres/bar tape, that'll be me - a nod and a wave guaranteed unless I'm flat-out in the middle of an evening TT!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    As the token Northerner I feel duty bound to say 'yes' but maybe I should stick to stereotype and say 'aye'.............................................................................................................aye.

Tell the truth, no more than half of cyclists are friendly up here either.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    Thanks for the responses, Downfader, I know car drivers would not wave to each other, but I feel it's a bit of a cameraderie thing. If you greet or acknowledge someone, it's nice to get a nod or something. It was a bit of a rant, but seriously of the 15 or so cyclists I passed, only one gave a response back, so I was a bit disappointed. I'll promise not to get upset and post again on the subject!
    DavidBelcher, I'll keep an eye out for you, celeste Bianchi, celeste or Barloworld kit. A friend has told me of the Wherwell village incline, so I'll be keen to smash it out!
    And no, I wasn't wearing a Gordon Brown jersey!
    FCN 1