Disc Brake stupid mistake!

plokmi
plokmi Posts: 45
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
While out washing the bike I stupidly squeezed both brake leaver with the wheel off. I'm worried I have to go to LBS but surely this must happen all the time. How can I fix this? BTW the brakes are Avid Jucy 3s with stock pads.

Comments

• rifu
    rifu Posts: 13
    I also did the same mistake when I was getting the air bubbles out from my hydraulic brake system.

In my case, the pads came so close with each other that the rotor can't be inserted in between.

I use some thin objects to press the pads outwards, away from each other while opening the caliper bleed nipple just a very little bit. The press on the pads will make a little of the oil go out. If you open the nipple too much, the oil will squirt out and you'll find the brake lever loose or too squeezy, so be careful. There's some related discussion here.

I use Shimano BR-M575 though.
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Use a flat head screwdriver to push the pads back out again, just take it easy as to not ruin the pads
  • Don't open the bleed nipple, you'll lose oil and your brakes won't perform as well.

Just carefully force a flat bladed screw driver in between and lever the pads back in to position.
    If you have a steel ruler or similar, this may be better as the force will be spread over a wider area and the damage to the braking surface will be limited.