Brake adaptor question

rbrstr
rbrstr Posts: 64
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I cant find the adaptor i think i need, and i'm wondering if its because i dont actually need one,just maybe a couple of spacers?
I want to fit a 74mm post mount caliper, to a rockshox dart3 post mount fork with a 160mm front disc. It wont bolt straight on, it definately needs something? does anyone know the correct width of spacer or what adaptor?
confused!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    should bolt straight on, ar you sure the forks are PM?
  • rbrstr
    should bolt straight on, ar you sure the forks are PM?

Definately yes. when you fit the caliper directly to the fork leg the disc is fouling the caliper, it needs to be spaced aprrox 4mm away,would it be advisable to just use some washers/conical washers?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what is the caliper.

do you have all the bits?

As yes it will bolt straight on NO adaptors needed if you have all the bits.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rbrstr
    nicklouse wrote:
    so what is the caliper.

do you have all the bits?

As yes it will bolt straight on NO adaptors needed if you have all the bits.

Not sure what you mean by "bits"? I have an avid juicy three caliper and two mounting bolts.
  • nicklouse
    an Avid brake should have a bunch of APS mounting washers

see

avidjuicy5hydraulicdisc-399-75.jpg

you need them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rbrstr
    nicklouse wrote:
    an Avid brake should have a bunch of APS mounting washers

see

avidjuicy5hydraulicdisc-399-75.jpg

you need them.

Bingo! I have those, and i'm guessing they would space the caliper off by about the 4mm i was looking for. Thanks again :D
  • nicklouse
    fit them the right way.