Squeeky disk brakes

Ryan09
Ryan09 Posts: 121
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

My bikes back wheel does spin smoothly and stop wiht a loud squeek.

Its not that still that i cant ride but like when i turn the bike upside down and spin the back rim it stops fast.

If anyone know how i could clean the disk or fix this please tell me

Thanks

Comments

• Ryan09
    Hi

I got the squeek to stop when i losen the wheel a bit but still i think the brake pads are rubbin becuase the wheel doesny spin freely.

if anyone knows how to stop this please say thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    don't loosen the wheel, you tit. It could fall out :shock:

Sounds like you have a bent brake disc, there's a thread on this forum somewhere (or you could search parktools) with tips on straightening a bent rotor with an adjustable spanner.
  • Ryan09
    Ok obv i know that if i losen the wheel it will fall off. I only done it to see if it was overtight.

No its not bent.

YA TIT
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Then align your caliper.

Job done
  • ride_whenever
    If that doesn't work then check that the pads are far enough apart for the rotor to fit easily between them. You might need to re-set the pistons.
  • Ryan09
    Thanks i will check that out.

One thing how do i align my calipers.

Sorry im a total nob with disk brakes :oops:
  • ride_whenever
    what brakes?

but basically undo caliper bolts, squeeze and hold lever, carefully tighten bolts so the caliper doesn't move
  • Ryan09
    I ment disk brakes in total this is my first set.

Well thanks alot for this help i will try this tomorro.
  • Anonymous
    if your disc is catching in some parts of the wheel rotation, but not others, then your disc is bent.
  • rifu
    rifu Posts: 13
    what brakes?

but basically undo caliper bolts, squeeze and hold lever, carefully tighten bolts so the caliper doesn't move

have never thought of that before, have always been doing time consuming visual alignment. nice tip. thanks :)
  • Anonymous
    rifu, I've never found the "wuick and dirty" method to work properly, so I always resort to lining them up visually.
  • rifu, I've never found the "wuick and dirty" method to work properly, so I always resort to lining them up visually.

Me neither, never totally happy with rear performance. Tried the strapping lever to handlebars which deffo made a difference, but doing the whole 'loosen caliper bolts, hold brake lever and retighten' never really worked. For some reason it always ended up touching on one side, rubbing, and when you pulled the elvers you could see the disk move. Clearly not good.

Did a visual alignment (bloody finddly!( this weekend, went for a ride, and has noticably improved things.

Kev
  • rifu
    rifu Posts: 13
    I guess there's no free lunch in caliper alignment then.. :(