I just dropped my cassette!!! Easy to re-build.

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I was just swapping over a shimano cassette on some wheels and I f**king dropped it out of my hands, it's now in pieces but I'm wondering if they are easy to put back together...correctly of course.

Anyone got any pointers/tips???
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make sure all the sprockets face the same direction - the stamped letters/numbers face outwards. One spline is different so they can only fit onto the freehub one way..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • drewfromrisca
    Cheers mate, how do the spacers work? is there a specific way they are put in?

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Cheers mate, how do the spacers work? is there a specific way they are put in?
    Yes there is. Have a look at the technical documents on the Shimano website. They'll have a diagram showing you what goes where.

Dead easy!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the model of cassette and whether it breaks down into multiple clusters on a carrier; individual sprockets or a mixture of both? Generally, a thicker spacer goes between a cluster and an individual sprocket and the thinnest ones between individuals ones.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    If you've got a 10 speed shimano cassette then the first few cogs are a single unit. Then it's spacer, cog, spacer, cog etc until you get to the last two. As Monty Dog says, make sure the cogs face the same way and the spines on the freehub make sure they can only go on in the correct alignment. The last two cogs don't have spacers, but that should be pretty obvious when you get to them. TBH it's not rocket science. I take the cassette apart every time I clean it.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Like he says above, should be obvious enough.

There's a wider spline on each cog, obvious if you look for it, and marked with a little arrow too. Make sure all the arrows all face the same way.
    The plastic spacers are all the same size and doesn't matter which way round they go.
  • drewfromrisca
    I sorted it yesterday cheers, a hangover didn't help really cos it was quite bleeding obvious when I sat down and had a look!!! :oops: