well chuffed diy

lesz42
lesz42 Posts: 690
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
:)

last week, fitted my forks, and this week replaced middle chain ring and chain, all with the help from this website, the search tool and a bit of reading

soon a new rear derailleur, bleed the brakes, and in a few months a new crankset, but need a toolset tbh!

would like to go on a wheel building course!
Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5

Comments

• Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    Nice. Doing similar work, changing bits an pieces on my old steed. Hopefully be done in a week or so. As for the wheel building, though i did not try it myself, you could still start practicing by yourself, i found loads of info, tutorials and videos on how to build a wheel. Planing to try it at some point as well. I thinking of buying a cheap used wheel, disassembling it and then with rebuilding it. I think it's a good thing to do until you have a chance to take a course.
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • lesz42
    good idea about the wheel! :)

thanks!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fixing your bike up is brilliant way to save money and its very satisfying to ride about on a job well done. good work fella
  • lesz42
    thanks, some things are easy, i cut the steerer tube too long, (2mm) so used a angle grinder to shorten it, easy! :)

for the rest, tbh you need the right tools, i think its best to buy, what you need, when u need it?

shimano bleeding next, then the crank

on my 3rd chain now, in 12 months, will change crank and chain at the same time, then move to 9 speed, on the 4th chain ( shifters as well)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Phinx, for building wheels, it's far better to build up from fresh, much much easier.

Bladed spokes are even easier still. The thing to do is buy some cheap bits and build up some spare wheels or build for friends... :twisted:
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    The only reason i suggested disassembling, is because it's easier to get a cheap wheel than a whole set of cheap bits and pieces to build a wheel.
    Giant Yukon FX3