Shimano/Campag alignment problem

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I am assembling a Ciocc which has a Shimano 600 BB with Miche/Campag 8 spd cassette, to which I have added a non-brand 50/34 compact chainring. The chain alignment is way off. The BB spindle length is approx 115. (I would have to disassemble to measure accurately.)

Looking at the chainline, the angle is so far off, I dont know whether a shorter Shimano spindle will actually do it. On my Campag Chorus BB and Record chainset, the cranks are actually set inside the BB.

Is this a Shimergo disaster?

Comments

• bice
    Sorry, the cassette is a 13-26
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    What are the cranks?
  • bice
    the cranks are non-branded Shimano style 50/34. Length 170.

Doing Sheldon's calculations re chain line: the front chainline is 5.5cms and the rear 3.7cms. The angle is awful.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    This is nothing to do with mixing components just getting the right parts! What is the gap between the inner chainring and the chainstay - it needs to be about 3-5mm depending on the frame. You need a shorter BB - generally a double chainset requires something in the region of 107-110mm
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bice
    A shorter spindle is my thinking. I just wonder whether it will work with a squared tapered Shimano 600 BB, or get another type - like my Chorus, which is almost recessed in the frame. At the moment the alignment is way off. Any BB in mind?

Also: although the frame space is 125mm I have put a 130 wheel in there. Does that matter much. My LBS is talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this necessary?
  • bice
    Having thought about this a bit more: a shorter spindle would be handy, but the inside square taper hole in these no-name cranks sticks out in bulge. it means the cranks are virtually against the frame.

Even with a smaller soindle I am not going to get much closer in. I think it is new cranks or ... what about I just shave 0.5 cms off this bulge with a grinder? That would get them in closer to the frame.