SRAM Cassette fitting

PeterMolloy
PeterMolloy Posts: 121
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Have just taken off my 9 speed SRAM cassette (on a bontrager hub) and can't get the lockring to engage when I come to tighten it back on. All the sprockets look evenly fitted, the first seven being on a combined cassette, and sliding on no trouble at all., with the two outer ones (12 and 11t) being separate. I've removed, cleaned and refitted loads of cassettes in my time, but never a SRAM, and while it looks like a Shimano, and I used the Shimano lockring tool to undo it, the lock ring simply won't engage with the threads inside the freehub body when I come to tighten it up.
Is there something 'different' about SRAM cassettes, that I would need to do before refitting the cassette and doing up the lockring?
PeteM

Comments

• bobtravers
    bobtravers Posts: 115
    Did you forgot to put back a spacer by mistake on the hub??

Did you put all sprockets in the right order and on the right splines?? Check for the small one and align all sprockets...

Good luck!
  • PeterMolloy
    Bob, many thanks for the response....yes, I've done all that, but in looking at it again this morning at my LBS, it looks like the cassette isn't aligned properly. The SRAM cassette consists of the first seven sprockets and spacers, all held together by a single metal bar that goes through the lot. The outer two sprockets have metal collars (not spacers) and simply slide on the end of the block.
    From my experience, Shimano uses a similar method, but uses two metal bars through the whole cassette, one each side, to hold the cassette together and keep everything aligned..
    What seems to have happened, is that when I was cleaning it, the single bar, allowed the sprockets to swing away from each other, (rather like a paper fan folds out) and when I have re-aligned them, they haven't quite gone back correctly, even though they all slide onto the freewheel ok.
    I'm going to have another go at re-fitting it again tonight...and I'll post back the result, in case anyone else has a similar problem.
    PeteM
  • PeterMolloy
    Bob, and any others interested(!).
    Finally got the thing back together again. Problem was that being used to Shimano, I assumed that all the sprockets went back on with the wide tab on the sprocket matching the wide gap on the freewheel.
    This was the case for the first eight sprockets on the SRAM, but the final sprocket (11t) actually slides "inside" the 12t sprocket, and while it appears to align ok, it actually depends on aligning the only narrow cut out, with the narrow tab inside the 12t sprocket...if all that makes sense.
    The really annoying thing is that the 11t sprocket appears to line up fine with the end of the freewheel even though the narrow tab isn't in line with the narrow cut out on the freewheel, so you think (or at least, I did) that all that is left to do is to do up the lock ring....then you find it won't engage with the screww thread inside the freewheel.
    Anyway, thanks for the response Bob...it was your suggestion to look at the smallest sprocket more closely, that helped fix it.
    PeteM
  • bobtravers
    bobtravers Posts: 115
    Hoped that it would be helpful...