need advice, got a race comin up

MarinRockSprings
MarinRockSprings Posts: 26
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I"ve just taken a Vo2 max test and I'm sad to say that I didn't do as well as I was hoping for. Well for my age group I achived quite highly (63ml/kg/min) but I'm still not happy.

So,would anyone please be kind enough as to point me in the right direction as to were I can get a great road bike, preferabley under 1000pounds as it can be bought for me by using the cycle scheme.

I would like a comfortable and also efficient road bike. I'm 6foot 2inchs and weigh 11stone.

I completed the c2c when I was 13 and found it a breeze. I'm lookin into doing it again this year but prefably on the road

I've been looking at one bike in particular - Bianchi 1885, which is the 2008 model. mostly because of the campag gear on it, I've heard nothing but good news about campag

oh yeah, I almost forgot to mension, I'm 15 years old

Could you also tell me whether the Bianchi is any good, Thankyou.

Comments

• Thanks for the message.

I have considered the carbon bikes but I find then to be very expensive and don't have the class A kit i.e derailleur, wheels and so on.

could you be more specific as to which bike would e more suitable for me?

Thanks
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Welcome to the forum.
    Its good to see you have a particular bike in mind, it makes it far easier to give advise rather than the general 'what bike' enquiry. Several club members I ride with have Bianchi's and they all say good things about them, I don't think you'll go far wrong with one. More importantly choose your LBS carefully and see how they react to your questions, at 15 you might get some talking down to you or trying to force their ideas on you. They should be extreemly careful on the set up of the bike given your younger years as you don't want to start getting injuries. If they don't have your size in stock try to be patient and insist on waiting for the right one to arrive.
  • thanks for the advice
    could anyone advise me as to what sort of mileage I should be achieving on a 1hour ride on the road?

thanks again :)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    thanks for the advice
    could anyone advise me as to what sort of mileage I should be achieving on a 1hour ride on the road?

the mileage will be about the same length as a piece of string.

seriously, nobody can answer that, because there is no single answer to it.
  • softlad wrote:
    thanks for the advice

thats helpfull :roll:
  • softlad
    softlad wrote:
    thanks for the advice

like I said, there is no simple answer. Anyone who gives you an actual number will just be guessing......
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    softlad wrote:
    thanks for the advice

6 - 40 miles
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • softlad
    but if its numbers you want, then numbers you can have. Anything between 15-22 miles depending on terrain, fitness, wind, weather and how you actually feel on the day in question.....you're not really giving us much to go on...
  • softlad wrote:
    but if its numbers you want, then numbers you can have. Anything between 15-22 miles depending on terrain, fitness, wind, weather and how you actually feel on the day in question.....you're not really giving us much to go on...

sorry, I've not given you much info to go on, I'm a newby to the road riding!!

So, lets imagine theres no wind, it's hot, I'm in the mood to cycle, now how should I cycle? should I go flat out/were shoud i go flat out- on the flats or on the hills.

I'm living in otley(north of Leeds) and it can get rather hilly
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Anyone not buying this???
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    not for a second!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • softlad
    I'm in the mood to cycle,

that was the Nolan Sisters, wasn't it..???
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    or maybe Bhima's recruited another spam bot. At least any dumb posts PIANOMAN makes are all from the same person - no one else uses my computer.

Surely if you want to know average racing speed, you can look up distance and finishing times for completed races from British Cycling?