Garmin Edge Opinions?

Fully
Fully Posts: 257
edited June 2009 in MTB general
As the title suggests really.

Does it do what it says on the tin? Is the bike mount any good? Is it easy enough to upload tracklogs, etc?

I don't have much experience with handheld GPS, so any help/info/opinions welcome.

8)
Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I have the 705. It is useful but flawed IMO

uploading track logs and the like is easy enough, mapping is not great but does function. It seems to be a Garmin Forerunner with added mapping and bikey bits rather than a Mapping GPS with added fitness and bikey bits, if that makes any sense

Bike mount is fine
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • For any GPS I would recomend using memory map software for uploading tracks routes and waypoints.Much better than garmin mapsource. Its just a shame that you cannot upload the maps onto your gps. Unless of course you use a PDA GPS combo which is not handy for mounting on your bike.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    To be honest, all i will use it for is tracklogs downloaded from route sites over here, so i am thinking of just getting the 205. I prefer to carry a paper map, so don't need on screen mapping. It'll be a handy double check of my dubious nav skills.

It will also come in handy as a fitness aid though.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • Sorry I didnt notice your location. I dont know if memory map do maps of Germany. I have the uk set of ordnance survey maps and they are brilliant.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/