Cornwall, what a load of tosh

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
only joking,

i was there last week for a 10 days and it was absolutely gleaming. went to holywell near newquay and had a blast. i was taking groups cycling all week (only on the camel trail (yawn)) and then drinking all evening.

good times

was my first trip to that part of the country, weymouth being the furthest i have ventured in that direction before, and i cant wait to go back. as nice a bit of england as i have been to i reckon.

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Yeah, is lovely there.

I spent a week in Watergate Bay last year. Great weather, Good restaurants, good bars.
    Would happily go back again.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I love Devon and Cornwall, such stunning scenery down there, great food and drink and a more relaxed way of life. I miss it! :(
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Ay ay ay!

Me and you could fall out here!

:lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    it is such a nice place, there cant be a miserable person in the whole county!!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I like Cornwall but Pembrokeshire is way better.
  • Blackadder
    Blackadder Posts: 187
    agree with .blitz

cornwall is a bit too busy and is a culde sac with only the A30 out of there
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    .blitz wrote:
    I like Cornwall but Pembrokeshire is way better.

Eh? Depends what you are looking for. I have lived in Cornwall most of my life and spent a lot of time surfing in Pembs so know both well.

If you can find decent work down here (not easy) it's the best place in the World. :D

Sure if you're incapable of exploring then you head for the busy spots and stick with the hordes but if you use your noggin, it's as peaceful as anywhere. A boat also helps when the roads get busy.
  • Been to Watergate, Holywell, Newquay, Perranporth & Lulworth (Devon) in my many trips to the West Country over the last few years...very nice place, people & countryside, will definately be going back soon, but next time with the bike 8)
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Cornwall is full of people with webbed fingers and monobrows... must be all the in-breeding ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Surf-Matt
    Been to Watergate, Holywell, Newquay, Perranporth & Lulworth (Devon) in my many trips to the West Country over the last few years...very nice place, people & countryside, will definately be going back soon, but next time with the bike 8)

Shout when you do come down!

jr - done the South East (until aged 14) - your idea of Kernow is a bit out of date. Plenty of wierdos up your way too...
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Cornwall:

full of tourists; half the people who live there are from London; massive traffic jams everywhere. :?

south Devon on the other hand is as near to perfection as you can get. 8)
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Porgy wrote:
    Cornwall:

full of tourists; half the people who live there are from London; massive traffic jams everywhere. :?

south Devon on the other hand is as near to perfection as you can get. 8)

I'm from Devon so I'm biased :-D Devon is awesome, Cornwall is just a piece of land that got stuck on the end during the last ice age ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Porgy
    jrduquemin wrote:
    I'm from Devon so I'm biased :-D

So am I :D
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Devon is awesome,

Too true :D
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Cornwall is just a piece of land that got stuck on the end during the last ice age ;-)

Cornwall is the bit that Devon didn't want - so we let the weirdos live there and mine tin for us.
  • Last time I went to Cornwall it was more Northerners than Londoners, eating fry-ups in every tea-room and burnt on every beach, walking their whippet and admiring the local pigeons :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Surf-Matt
    My inlaws have a gaff in South Devon - it's nice but why do you think they are thinking of moving down here?

I like the area but there's very little surf, it's pretty cut off (depending on where you are) and just a wee bit too twee.
  • Porgy
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    My inlaws have a gaff in South Devon - it's nice but why do you think they are thinking of moving down here?

I like the area but there's very little surf, it's pretty cut off (depending on where you are) and just a wee bit too twee.

Well - I'm not a surfer - used to swim, sail and canoe a bit in my youth.

But I do like a nice isolated beach with no tourists and plenty of nearby walking - and I knew quite a few decent beaches like that when I was living in Devon.

And after a trip back to my birthplace at xmas I realised how absolutely fantastic the countryside is around the South Hams / Wembury area. But I'm getting old now maybe I'm twee too. :lol:
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Been to Watergate, Holywell, Newquay, Perranporth & Lulworth (Devon) in my many trips to the West Country over the last few years...very nice place, people & countryside, will definately be going back soon, but next time with the bike 8)

Shout when you do come down!
    Will do.

Is there anywhere in the area that's not too touristy. Am looking at a short break over summer, but we also need to save for our big SA trip at Christmas 8) so depends on how much that may cost us. We have yet to use our huge tent bought last year for a holiday, before other expenses put a kybosh on that trip :?
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Surf-Matt
    Porgy - it is very nice but I think you are probably thinking of N Cornwall only - South Cornwall (where we technically live) is much like S Devon and loads of it is very very quiet. On my 12.5 mile morning ride, apart from a 2 mile section into Truro, I rarely see a single car or person. It's very quiet. And because we have a little boat on the river, we can get to completely isolated beaches very easily. You just need to know where to look.

Rev - what are your priorities?

West Cornwall is often a lot quieter and the South coast is much less rammed (apart from in a few places). I can recommend the campsite at Gwithian - next to a stunning beach and not too busy most of the time.You are also close to some classic riding terrain (Bissoe/Police) if needed plus "The Track" nr Portreath - if you like crazy mtb jumping! www.the-track.co.uk I think

Other possibles are: http://www.magorfarm.co.uk and if you want a REALLY quiet and amazing place to pitch up, look up Old Kea campsite.
  • Much appreciated Matt, my holiday will be mostly about relaxing! A beach would be a plus for the missus who grew up right next to a huge surfers paradise in SA, and some stuff to keep the boy occupied would be cool but to be fair that may be done with a football and a field! Will check out those mentioned, sounds good 8) but 'The Track' is way above my station by the sounds! Im more a sedate countryside trailer atm, having not been to an organised event or trail yet, just local forest/reserves.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Well it's a lovely day in Cornwall today.

I'll be finishing work in a couple of hours, now what should I do????

Beach?
    Pub - overlooking the sea?
    BBQ?
    Beach BBQ?
    Surf?
    Pub - on the beach?
    Great roads for cycling . . . . . with a very actice club scene
    Great varied areas for MTBing . . . . . with a very actice club scene
    The only roads that are busy are the tourist routes.
    Restaurant - overlooking the bay?
    Sea swim?
    Pub - quiet country side?

I think you get the message . . . . . . .

Or we could go out on Matt's boat :wink:
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    For anyone coming down, just introduce yourself on here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... start=1620

There is plenty of riding for all abilities, including beginner rides & coaching.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • FSR_XC wrote:
    For anyone coming down, just introduce yourself on here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... start=1620

There is plenty of riding for all abilities, including beginner rides & coaching.
    Now im keen :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720