Saddle Bag Recommendations

chriskempton
chriskempton Posts: 1,245
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi can anyone recommend a bag that ticks the following boxes:

Just big enough for a tube, puncture kit, multitool and a bit of cash - everything else goes in my pockets.

Keeps well out of the way of my legs - this has been my big problem with every saddle bag I've previously owned even though the bags have been very small. I get rubbing on my shorts (always on the right side?) which seems a dumb way to wear out expensive shorts.

Clips to saddle only - think this is a given to achieve the above anyway, but I also want to stop scratching my nice seatpost.

Doesn't break!

Appreciate any recommendations.

Comments

• chriskempton
    Should have mentioned saddle is a Specialized Toupe
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I got one from Decathlon that should fit the bill - have a look on their website. It attaches to the saddle rails.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Scicon 430. This has a unique saddle fixing (Roller System), just twist to remove. I have the smaller Phantom 230 (really tiny), I can fit a 700c tube, Lezyne CRV12 multitool with chain tool, patches, tyre lever, spare chain link in it, but its a tight fit. The 430 would take the extras you want. I was most impressed with Scicon, I emailed them (in Italy) asking where I could buy a spare fitting for a second bike, they just sent me one completely free (no postage either) within a week!

Full range here

The bags are great!

scicon-phantom-430-zoom.jpg
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    I've had the same problem of the velcro strap rubbing my shorts. I was happy with my saddle bag so just resorted to taping over the velcro strap with some insulation tape. Works a treat but means you can't remove the saddle bag easily ... don't know if that's important to you.
  • chriskempton
    Cheers Shezzer but it's the bag itself rather than just the straps.

Thanks Alfablue, that's a good looking bag. I had heard about some scicon bags snapping at the clip, but I guess with the small/light contents it would be fine. I'll be going for one of those unless someone can point me at something better.
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    I have the Scicon 430. It snugly fits two superlite innertubes, two CO2's, two small tyre levers, a park tools super patch kit, a multi-tool, two spare contact lenses and a moderate splashing of cash. It is solidly attached but easily removed when you need it.

I also slide in a couple of latex gloves on top of everything - the inner of the top is plastic and the CO2's rattled against it when I first bought it - quite annoying until I worked out where the noise was coming from. But the latex gloves stop all that.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I use the Topeak Aero Wedge Pack in Medium.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/Aer ... dium_Quick

I carry 2 spare tubes, Multi Tool, 3 Park Tool levers, Mobile Phone, House Keys some loose change and a Park Quick Puncture patch kit.

It has to be all put in carefully - but it fits OK. You can also unzip and extend it for additional capacity but I have never needed to. It is made of hard wearing Cordura type material as well so it can be scrubbed clean.

The main attachment is a quick-release clip fixed to the underside of the saddle. It does also use a velcro strap around the seatpost for additional stability.

They are also widely available on t'Internet or in LBS's.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    How about this one
  • Went for a Scicon myself having ditched fizik clip in one due to zip issues.

Scicon broke off on 2nd ride, and not a lot of gear in it, just rough N Yorks country lanes. Not impressed as it bounced down the hill...

Really flimsy when you look closely at how it's put together (although just my opinion). Fizik clip system much much more robust, just duff zips.

Gone for lezyne bag now (I know, still has velcro on seatpost) - great kit although big one just too big and smaller one just too small....still, it's just a bag I guess.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Trek to a clip in one that is nice and sturdy, and works well. Not very snazzy but does the job.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111666.html
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    +1 for the Topeak Aero Wedge range.
    There are two options for attachment to the saddle - either by straps or via a clip that attaches to the saddle rails. I personally prefer the straps option, so that I can easily swop between my MTB & road bikes.

For your requirements
    Just big enough for a tube, puncture kit, multitool and a bit of cash
    the MICRO size would fit the above in, or for a little more room the SMALL size would comfortably accomodate. 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    This is good value imo

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 372c012369

I have the larger version c/w tools and it brilliant, and the clip is thick and sturdy, and is just brilliant!
  • Big Dave
    Big Dave Posts: 85
    I tried a Scicon a couple of months ago and I too was really impressed by the ease at which it could be attached and detached from the saddle. At least I was until the cheap plsatic bracket snapped off.

I have an Altura saddle bag on my tourer and I had to replace the mounting bolts with ones from a hardware shop as the originals were apparently made of toffee and rounded off as I tried to fit the mounting bracket.

For saddle bags you really can't beat Topeak IMHO. Lots of sizes to choose from and decent mounting brackets.

I ain't fat, merely optimised for gravity.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    + N for the Topeak bags. I have the large one and it takes all you listed plus mobile phone, mars bar (would melt in a pocket) and a showerproof jacket. It has a second zip so you can expand it a bit more if needed (or conversely zip it up to compress the contents and stop stuff rattling)
  • chriskempton
    Thanks for the answers. I was going for the more glamorous Scicon, but there do seem to be numerous stories of snapping brackets (on here and elsewhere), so think I'll go for a steady eddie Topeak job.

Cheers
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Just ordered myself a Topeak (medium) after reading this - thanks all! :D
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Trek to a clip in one that is nice and sturdy, and works well. Not very snazzy but does the job.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111666.html

I have this one and no its not very snazzy at all BUT it does the job :P
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    i've got one of these from topeak
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Wedge_Micro_Saddle_Bag/4000000084/

no straps to mark your seat post. very tidy
    regards,
    dbb