Titanium Nuts & Bolts

skyd0g
skyd0g Posts: 2,540
edited June 2009 in Workshop
A few years ago, titanium nuts & bolts seemed to be around everywhere as a weight-weenies upgrade, to shave a few ounces off your steed here & there. When I look around now though, there seem to be very few on the market.

Is there any particular reason/s for this, or have they purely dropped out of fashion? :?
Cycling weakly

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Probably because more and more groupsets have them built in now and have become lighter on their own without the need to upgrade. Or people have just stopped talking about it and gone ahead and done it!

(I have lots of little extra ti bolts on my bike - but recently finding them very difficult to adjust as the heads seem to be rounding out all the time. Considering going back to stainless steel!)
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Speaking of bolts, whats the bolt and strap thing called that holds the seat post in place? Anyone?

I've managed to damage the allen key hole with my hastiness.

EDIT: found it, Seat Clamp !
    Shazam !!
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Ti nuts and bolts used to have a reputation for binding solid if you did not put assembly compound on them.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Seat collar or seatpost collar?

Titanium screws 'gall' very easily if not prepped making them almost impossible to remove - particularly in aluminium.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Seat collar or seatpost collar?

Titanium screws 'gall' very easily if not prepped making them almost impossible to remove - particularly in aluminium.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Which is why it's very wise to use an anti-sieze compound like copper grease :D

Anyway... It's not a bad idea using them on non-weight beraing screws and assemblies (shifter mounts, derailluer brackets, light clamps etc), but I would absolutely not use them on stem, handlebars or anything like that - fear of seizing and rounding off...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke