Scratches?

peabrain
peabrain Posts: 43
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Hay everyone.
I've just come off my bike on the road and now my bike has loads of scratches all along the fork. Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do to cover them up or get rid of them? They are rather big too and I think they are going to start rusting soon which will make the bike unsafe.
if you can ride up it, its too easy

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    If you have suspension forks I would worry about rust at all as these tend to be cast alloy which will not rust.
    As for the scratches, well I suggest some touch up paint or cover them with decals.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    peabrain wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do to cover them up or get rid of them?
    Those Humbrol brush paints from model shops are pretty good for covering scratches. There are hundreds of colours so buy a few and mix them until you have a colour that matches your bike. Paint in the scratches, wait a day or two and then t-cut them back. Any paint that's outside the scratch will rub off easily. Repeat until the scratches are filled and then apply two or three layers of clearcoat, cutting back after every layer.
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    I use 3m paint protector, just Google it. £20 for a large sheet. You just cut it to the size you want and stick it to your frame etc. Its great for those spots where your cables rub and your frame gets mullered by the chain.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pictures of said scratches?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I take it you're fairly new to MTB's ?

I used to care about mine too...

Now when i get a new bike, throw it off the side of a hill into some trees, get it out of the way and you start using it like a bike, not like a precious prized asset.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    mountain bikes get scratched if you ride them that is, yes they look ugly but at least your bike will look used,..

saying that i was gutted when i scratched mine a few weeks ago on holiday in whistler i knew not to brake on the off camber rock as you loose traction and slide out so after watchng everyone clear it why did i hit the front brake :? and watch in horror as my new fox talas 36 rc2 scraped against the rock giving them a new cosmetic look.. :oops: :roll: :cry:
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Nothing wrong with looking after your bike and taking pride in the way it looks... Nothing better than seeing a nice looking bike on the trails, even better if there is a nice bird sat upon it... Doesn't mean it doesn't get ridden and ridden hard. Done over 200 miles on my new bike, 95% of which have been off road across Dartmoor...
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    fred1star wrote:
    Nothing wrong with looking after your bike and taking pride in the way it looks... Nothing better than seeing a nice looking bike on the trails, even better if there is a nice bird sat upon it... Doesn't mean it doesn't get ridden and ridden hard. Done over 200 miles on my new bike, 95% of which have been off road across Dartmoor...
    Quite agree. Done over 1600 miles on mine and it still looks good. Had a shop worker at leisure lakes taking the piss cos my bike was so clean, when in fact i took the time to clean it before taking it in for a service. Might leave the cow, dog and sheep shite on it next time. I know you cant help a few scratches but i agree about taking a bit of pride in your bikes appearance.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • stickygreen
    stickygreen Posts: 339
    I havnt even had my bike a week yet but gone out every night after work got it caked in crap then hose it down get it shiney again then dry it with rags then oil evrything.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • peabrain
    weeksy59 wrote:

Now when i get a new bike, throw it off the side of a hill into some trees, get it out of the way and you start using it like a bike, not like a precious prized asset.

you wouldn't do that to your car would you?
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    peabrain wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

you wouldn't do that to your car would you?

I wouldn;t drive a car in 2' deep mud, throw it at rocks at 30mph and go through rivers either.

A car isn't a mountain bike.

It's like leaving the plastic cover on a set of glof clubs because they may get scratched when you hit the ball.

an MTB is DESIGNED to be ridden, used and worked OFF-ROAD... that's where it's name comes from ;)
  • peabrain
    this is what i did a while ago

P1000176.jpg

and other ones
    P1000177.jpg

P1000178.jpg
  • peabrain
    what do you guys think?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    to satisfy your public hard man and your inner tart...

gently remove the rust with emery paper then use clear nail varnish to protect, but not hide the scratches!
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Try Turtle Wax Ice, it's a silicon based car polish, goes on clear and leaves no white marks. Be wary of using it on the car as a second coat seems to smear and never buffs out properly but on my bikes it's great. Makes rinsing off after a ride a doddle.

It's really good at hiding scratches, s'funny although it's clear scratches seem to blend away when this stuff is wiped over the top.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Gingersaurus
    Gingersaurus Posts: 466
    That's a tiny scratch.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    Scratches/dings come with the territory tbh, if your bothered about them become a roadie, other wise get used to it! imo