Bike security

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
I can only keep my bikes in the shed, however the insurance company will only pay out a maximum of £1500 for any single item or the total contents. One of my bikes cost £2500, as such I want the best security lock I can buy. However even then it will have its limitations, after all its only a shed.

The review here : http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear ... ackle-9445

Shows a good security device, however if you saw through the timber you can take to
lot!!

Also can you advise me of a good "portable" lock for when you stop for snacks etc ?

I could use raw bolts into the concrete floor, any suggestions would be helpful.

Flyer

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I have a 20kg kettlebell in my concrete shed which i use as an anchor. A fairly decent lock joins this to the frame of my bike. If they go to the trouble of negotiating this then in the insurance eyes I have done more than enough.

I didnt waste too much time over your type of scenario, the only extra thing you could do is get a motion type alarm to sound of aswell. Anything more and your spending so much on security perhaps you should have got a cheaper bike in the first place and be able to sleep at night!

8)
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    you can get floor lock eye/ mounting points and stick them down to concrete floor with chemical fixing adhesive... it was in cycling weekly i believe...
  • Justpush
    Justpush Posts: 52
    Cant you change your insurance company?
    Many threads on this.
    e.g. M&S cover up to £4k.
  • geerfree
    geerfree Posts: 74
    good thing most thiefs don't know the value of bikes! If they did theyd get the saw out for sure!

The more over the top the lock is the more attention it will get when you park it for a drink/stop, a middle of the range style portable lock is probably fine.
  • Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    flyer wrote:
    I can only keep my bikes in the shed, however the insurance company will only pay out a maximum of £1500 for any single item or the total contents. One of my bikes cost £2500, as such I want the best security lock I can buy. However even then it will have its limitations, after all its only a shed.

The review here : http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear ... ackle-9445

Shows a good security device, however if you saw through the timber you can take to
    lot!!

Also can you advise me of a good "portable" lock for when you stop for snacks etc ?

I could use raw bolts into the concrete floor, any suggestions would be helpful.

Flyer

Hi Flyer,
    I brought one of these last year after both my bikes were stolen :x , they seem really good - I avoid saying they are as nobody has attempted to steel my bike since and I pray to god it stays that way, I have used a very heavy (thick) D lock with mine and the whole place is linked to my house alarm so I would hope that would stop/put off any thief.

As you say as a shed is timber you could saw through the panels, but you would end up with a five foot panel of timber connected to a heavy lock and the shed shackle & the bike .... not the best thing to carry down the street I would hope?

Not to mention hopefully you would hear someone doing “a little wood work” at 3 in the morning and get Mr dibble to persuade them its not the best idea.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    If someone really wants your bike then unless you go to extreme efforts, they will get their dirty little hands on it. Short of getting razor wire, wiring the mains electricity to the shed door and having several rottweiler dogs in the garden it won't be 100% safe.

As well as the usual security advice as already given I would also add the following:

1) If possible be careful who sees you riding into your street if its applicable. I have before carried straight on when sighting local chavs, and come back 10 mins later when they have cleared off.

2) If going away I'd ask to leave your bike somewhere, afriends, at work etc. All to often thefts occur when folkes are away. Chavs have ESP and can detect when peoples are on hol.

3) Have it fully documented should the worse happen. Photos, serial numbers, receipts etc.

4) Badger your local plod for local patrols. If the cops are never called to a certain area then they will never go there. If plod aren't showing much interst ask for the Community suport Officers to help. Their primary role is to be the ears and eyes of the local community!

5) Side gates padlocked, fencing all in order? A shed burglar won't climb a million fences to see whats in peoples gardens. (Yeah they'll climb the odd fence) But 9 times out of 10 they'll try gates first etc. This includes no wheelie bins left at the side making all to easy for someone to climb the fence/gate.

6) Ever heard of defensive planting? Prickly shrubs and bushes. No burlar will want to get urm.... pricked by loads of torns etc.

7) Security lighting in the rear garden?

8 - Does the shed have windows? If so cover them (fully).
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    I'm so worried about my bike getting stolen it lives in the hallway - much to my wife's annoyance. Trouble is we've just decorated and she's insisting it moves. Wasn't too happy when I suggested it moves upstairs. Back bedroom, of course!
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Dunkeldog wrote:
    I'm so worried about my bike getting stolen it lives in the hallway - much to my wife's annoyance. Trouble is we've just decorated and she's insisting it moves. Wasn't too happy when I suggested it moves upstairs. Back bedroom, of course!

My last bike but one was stolen from the halway, lock it to the radiator!
  • djetelina
    djetelina Posts: 6
    In addition to a good lock, don't forget to Register your bike. Inclusive of all the component details, photo, etc. There are several free services out there such as www.bikeregistry.com. Offers some peace of mind even if nothing happens. Should your bike turn up missing, the filing of a accurate police report and/or insurance claim is made easy. As well as posting it as "MIA" to improve the chances of recovery. :idea: