More Specialized 2010

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited June 2009 in MTB general
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... -bcp1.html

Seems the march of higher prices and/or lower rent parts is continuing. The base Hardrock gets a 7 speed groupset rather than 8, and the Pro up 50 quid. The Comp just doesn't seem to have any value at all.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH i am not surprised except for the 7spd cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    Yeah, hopefully is a cassette rather than a screw on block.
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    Yeah, hopefully is a cassette rather than a screw on block.

dont think they would do that as they would need different frames/jigs
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    They just space the axle out usually, seen a few this year with 7 speed spin ons and 135 rear spacings.
  • nicklouse
    nasty lots of chain drop. weaker wheels and no disc upgrade possibilities.
  • supersonic
    They really must be penny picnhing to fit 7 speed cassetes though: not sure bog standard 8 spd and shifters are any less nowadays.

I remember when Raleigh used to fit 8 speed spin ons to the Max Cromos - they were sh1t.
  • nicklouse
    one thing is that i am not sure of is how long ago they drew up the specs. 1 year ago? or less.
  • nicklouse
    i would not be surprised to hear that alot of the spec is a knee jerk reaction to save a cent here and there.
  • supersonic
    Treks new 4300 looks great for 425 - adjustable hydraulically damped Spinner forks, hydro discs, 8 speed. Have to wait and see what GT and Mongoose bring to the table. Hopefully some specs with a bit of thought.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Was interesting to see MBR`s dirty dozen test this month.Most of the entry level bikes bikes were £600,this year.
    They reckoned th 09 Hopper in some ways was a more rounded spec/package than the 08 one,and that the Darts aren`t that much inferior to basic Tora 302s.
    However looks like those bikes will be £700 next year.
    With all thse price rises,I`d like to see the manufacturer`s put the money into the frame and forks,and make the saving wehere you can upgrade easily later.
    Though marketing depts,probably hate the idea I`d rather see a bike with say a 9 speed Deore drivetain and no discs,but wheels with 6 bolt hubs.
    I guess discs are seen as a must for showroom appeal,but given that you could buy a set of decent discs for £100,it would be an easier upgrade, than upgrading an 8 speed drivetrain to a 9 speed.
    Surprised that more big manufacturers don`t do,a nice single speed or rigId forked offering too,that could be upgraded over time
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supersonic
    Very much agree with what you are saying - especially the showroom appeal. It used to be the sus fork, but now we almost take them fro granted so the manufacturers are sneaking very cheap units on with no top out bumpers and rebound damping.

The Toras are step up in my eyes - especially the SLs and 318. Even the 302 is much stiffer, a bit lighter and better made (it seems).

I'd rather see good forks and 8spd than poor forks and 9spd, and definitely good forks over discs. On XC based rides, then as you say, a 9spd set up and Vs and disc hubs - which is why I liked the 400 quid 2008 Trek 4500 so much.

Unfortunately this year have seen a few 500 quid bikes with undamped forks, 8 speed, and cable discs. No value there, just penny pinching.
  • ^^ i got that mag and was happy reading about the rockhopper as i got the last rockhopper 08 with the tora 302 forks it seemed :) for 390, though it had v brakes i planning to upgrade and i still be below the 550 mark:)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • CommandoBoy
    CommandoBoy Posts: 173
    I am not sure if the disc hubs would be a good idea. Kona did it this year on the Shonky and i liked that idea, however from expeirnce if someone buys a bike and like a GT 3.0 and wants to upgrade it they just buy a new bike at around £800+ rather than upgrade it bit by bit, so i dont think the disc hubs would be worth it in most cases.
  • supersonic
    You can get get discbrake kits for 80 quid - gives the buyer the option if they want to upgrade. Is a no loss situation really as the disc version usually costs about that much more.
  • The Spiderman
    So how about a rigid forked,v braked Rockhopper.......... :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • The Spiderman
    I am not sure if the disc hubs would be a good idea. Kona did it this year on the Shonky and i liked that idea, however from expeirnce if someone buys a bike and like a GT 3.0 and wants to upgrade it they just buy a new bike at around £800+ rather than upgrade it bit by bit, so i dont think the disc hubs would be worth it in most cases.

How much more would it cost the manufacturer to provide,6 bolt hubs?Given that most bikes have discs these day,I bet the economies of scale,mean that Shimano could probably turn them out6 bolt hubs cheaper,than the non disc variety.

I agree,still generally financially better to buy a better bike than upgrade,but I quite like the idea of being able to upgrade bikes which have an inherently good frame.Bikes like the Rockhopper.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4