Can I swap Shimano Ultegra 12/27 cassette for Dura-Ace 11/28

OxfordTrefor
OxfordTrefor Posts: 15
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Hi - apols if this is obvious but fairly new to cycling and wanted to check - got a Cube Attempt (2009) - getting into sportives.. live in the Chiltern hills .. longer climbs a struggle - looking to swap cassette as per title .. is it a straight swap ? Thanks!

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yep

you may need to tweak the tension screw a tad but it should be fine. I've recently made the switch to a 11-28 and it was fine.

Wiggle have a good price on the SRAM OG1070, if you fancy forking out for the DA
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SRAM_ ... 360030267/
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Thanks Maddog2 .. I've had a bit of conflicting advice on this one - Called Evans and they said yes it was a good move .. Local bike shop today (Beeline Oxford) said I might get away with it .. but pointed out (probably quite rightly..) that with 3 up front and a 12-27 I should be ok on hills .. which has led me to consider.. only riding since Feb .. and could shed a few lbs .. so might put some focus into that as a plan A! :)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you already have a triple then it is not really worth changing the cassette. Going from 27 to 28 teeth will not make a great deal of difference and you are more likely to miss a gear or two from the middle of the cassette. A lot of money for very little gain.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    DA is v.expensive (£100+). BBB and SRAM do from £35.

Howver, if you already have a tripple chainset with a 30t then this probably isn't going to make enough difference.
    Rich
  • Thanks all for the advice .. it looks as if it's down to more training on the hills and a few less curries !
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    The DA cassette is about 50g lighter than that SRAM one so you're not really comparing like with like anyway.

Also +1 regarding little benefit in tweaking the cassette when you've got a triple.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    +1 not worth it.

You already have very low gears for the Chilterns
  • hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    RichA wrote:
    However, if you already have a tripple chainset with a 30t then this probably isn't going to make enough difference.

Can I beg to differ? I have Ultegra triple, and had 12-27 on the rear. Due to being a "larger" rider, I struggle on hills, and ended up putting a SRAM Force 11-28 on, and am really happy with the difference it makes, not just for the lowest gear, but also the next gear is a little easier too.

Shan't bother with a 340 though - I think I've got what I need now to get up anything that's not too ridiculous.

Cheers,
    Chris