Second Hand Clothing

blu3cat
blu3cat Posts: 1,016
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
Anyone here ever bought second hand clothing.

I've seen posts for shoes and padded shorts, and for me to wear someone elses 2nd had short or shoes is just gross, no matter how many times they've been washed.

I'm not sure I would wear shorts that someone else has had next to their a*se on a bike for extended periods of time, with all of the associated body contact. Yuk, yuk, yuk.

Is this just being a little squeamish?
"Bed is for sleepy people.
Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
Colnago World Cup 2

Comments

• CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I find my own post-ride shorts quite sickening so someone elses (and let's be honest; no amount of washing can quite get the smell of sweat out completely) would be a definite no-no...
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I got an awesome ebay bargain on a pair of carbon shoes for £20 when new they would have been around £140 new. They were in really good condition and only needed a quick clean with a sponge so I should probably thank you squeamish people for not bidding.

Don't think I'd have a problem with good quality second hand shorts either if they'd only been used once or twice. Couple of washes and they'd be fine.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    the good news is that most people do find buying secondhand shorts and shoes repulsive...

the even better news is that means there are even more bargains for those of us who are not put off...

I picked up a pair of Endura FS260pro bibs on ebay - worn once, £20. Retail price around £60. Specialized carbon pro road shoes, worn a few times only, £25 on ebay. Retail around £100+....

Buying secondhand is utterly disgusting and nobody here should do it.......
  • blu3cat
    softlad wrote:
    the good news is that most people do find buying secondhand shorts and shoes repulsive...

the even better news is that means there are even more bargains for those of us who are not put off...

I picked up a pair of Endura FS260pro bibs on ebay - worn once, £20. Retail price around £60. Specialized carbon pro road shoes, worn a few times only, £25 on ebay. Retail around £100+....

Buying secondhand is utterly disgusting and nobody here should do it.......

would you buy secondhand underpants???? Only worn a couple of times??? Well you can definitely have first dibs on any padded lining short sales before me. :D

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • softlad
    blu3cat wrote:

would you buy secondhand underpants???? Only worn a couple of times??? Well you can definitely have first dibs on any padded lining short sales before me. :D

I see where you're coming from - and 'no' I wouldn't..... ;)

but then, underpants do not generally cost £60 a pair - unless of course they are Rapha underpants......
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    :lol: To each their own, if only tried on and found to be wrong size would be ok IMO but if ridden hard i think it might put me off :shock:
  • softlad
    :lol: To each their own, if only tried on and found to be wrong size would be ok IMO but if ridden hard i think it might put me off :shock:

I have no idea whether the shorts I have were simply 'tried on' or whether the guy rode hard in them for 7 hours and then relieved himself in them on the way home. As the old saying goes - "what you don't know won't hurt you.."

Having said that - these shorts have been in regular use for about 9 months now, and I haven't caught anything from them yet.. ;)

i don't usually buy s/h kit - it's not something I had ever done before, but I would probably do it again if the right stuff came up at the right price...
  • blu3cat wrote:
    would you buy secondhand underpants???? Only worn a couple of times??? :D

Kinda depends on who wore 'em first. Lindsay Lohan, say? Any takers? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Secondhand shorts.......yoinks.

Pre-owned, now thats much better.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat wrote:
    would you buy secondhand underpants???? Only worn a couple of times??? :D

Kinda depends on who wore 'em first. Lindsay Lohan, say? Any takers? :lol:

I thought Lindsay Lohan didn't wear under shorts, or undergarment of any sort :shock:

And of course anyone who is selling something that doesn't look tatty it bound to say they have only ben worn a coupl of times :roll:

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    I'd buy second hand shoes without a problem if they hadn't been used for long. I wear socks, so what's the problem?

Wouldn't bother with shorts (partly because I'm a thin git and nobody else wears my size it seems).
  • plankton
    plankton Posts: 78
    I buy second hand bibs and shorts, though I'm very particular and have strict rules and guidelines.
    I always state that under no circumstances must the shorts be washed after wearing.
    :twisted:
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    plankton wrote:
    I buy second hand bibs and shorts, though I'm very particular and have strict rules and guidelines.
    I always state that under no circumstances must the shorts be washed after wearing.
    :twisted:

I usually pay a premium for that!
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Willhub/Freehub's kit is nearly all preowned :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've never bought any second-hand shorts but I have a pair given to me by the widow of a very good friend. They were almost brand new. I don't have a problem with that and I can remember what a great guy he was every time I wear them. I would buy second-hand shoes from someone I knew but not sure if I would on eBay. Shoes can't easily be washed and foot infections can be hard to get rid of.

I buy lots of other s/h clothes from charity shops - usually sweaters and shirts. Anyway I'm entitled to buy from 'Help the Aged' because I am ... aged, that is :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • blu3cat
    I buy lots of other s/h clothes from charity shops - usually sweaters and shirts. Anyway I'm entitled to buy from 'Help the Aged' because I am ... aged, that is

Self help? :)

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I’ve no problem with second-hand clothing.
    The best pair of shorts for fit and for looks I ever had (unfortunately now worn out and discarded) were second-hand off a female triathlete. I’ve also still got second-hand winter bib/brace, shoes and 3-4 tricots, some given to me as cast-offs by people I know but most bought very cheaply at a regular flea market, where the stand owner concentrates on sports clothing.
    One tricot from him is my super retro Raleigh winter one, another a great Mapei jersey, both in good condition. I paid about £2 for each; a winter retro Raleigh would be over £50 from a shop. I also got a French national jersey from him, not in quite so good a condition (a bit shrivelled - from so much washing, I think), but good to impress with!

Of flea markets, at another I bought a Bell helmet, not second-hand but very much reduced, about £10. The seller acquired a lot of helmets which were factory-rejects because of small flaws like scratches on the paintwork. I afterwards checked with Bell about it, to make sure it was otherwise flawless.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Harry B wrote:
    eeeeewwwwwwww

+1 I would rather go for a ride in jeans with cotton boxers on underneath than wear someone elses bibs :shock:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    I've never bought any second-hand shorts but I have a pair given to me by the widow of a very good friend. They were almost brand new. I don't have a problem with that and I can remember what a great guy he was every time I wear them. I would buy second-hand shoes from someone I knew but not sure if I would on eBay. Shoes can't easily be washed and foot infections can be hard to get rid of.

I buy lots of other s/h clothes from charity shops - usually sweaters and shirts. Anyway I'm entitled to buy from 'Help the Aged' because I am ... aged, that is :)

Geoff

May I suggest you check what you're buying with Mrs Geoff SS, in case you buy back what you took in the day before!! :wink::lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I have been told that many "professional" riders sell off last years/team's kit. Would our more refined correspondents feel offended by an opportunity to buy such?

IMO soap still works. But shoes mould to a foot and could prove painful :oops:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • blu3cat
    still had someones ar*e next to the fabric for 100+ miles. Doesn't matter to me which logo, team colours or pro rider wore it. I would not buy second hand shorts or shoes.

Is that mould to a foot as in fungus?

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Jersey maybe, shorts never... skin suit :x
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    softlad wrote:

I have no idea whether the shorts I have were simply 'tried on' or whether the guy rode hard in them for 7 hours and then relieved himself in them on the way home. As the old saying goes - "what you don't know won't hurt you.."

Having said that - these shorts have been in regular use for about 9 months now, and I haven't caught anything from them yet.. ;)

i don't usually buy s/h kit - it's not something I had ever done before, but I would probably do it again if the right stuff came up at the right price...

Actually to be fair, i don't know if they were actually only tried on once so.........