GF Giro di Lombardia

Cadence Minge
Cadence Minge Posts: 9
edited September 2009 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
I have a holiday booked with Mrs Minge in Como in October in the expectation of doing the gran fondo GdL. I am getting a bit concerned - having booked the flights and hotel - that I have not found yet where/how to enter, but my smile is only looking slightly forced at this stage. Last year they used an online entry company but that one does not currently have the GFGdL listed yet

Qn: anyone done it and have any tips/stories/comments that they would like to share? (This will be our first sportive type event)

Qn: I don't suppose anyone has entered and can tell me how they did it ??

Thank you

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You enter thro' www.sdam.it who are the timing chip people. You need to register yourself on the site (free). That event might not be listed in their events pages yet. You pay online the entry fee and fill in the details. The day before the GF you go to the Plaza where the pro race finishes and collect your pack (you'll have an id number/receipt) and pay some money for your chip (you get some refunded for returning the chip at the finish).

I stayed at the Hotel Plinius which was 1 minutes cycle from the start. There are other cheaper/more expensive hotels. I got the hotel thro'Expedia. trip Advisor can recommend hotels. My hotel was v.accomodating about our bikes (we had 5 nights there). Stupendous riding in the area and lots of places to go. We did the 110km (shorter route) and were back for 1.00pm (start at 9am). Lots of fun,lots of italians on all manner of bikes but style is the order of the day. Town centre closed on the reurn back and some crazy descending. Are you flying or driving? PM me if you have other questions
    M.Rushton
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    You pick up your pack with race number etc the day before, in the main Square (Plaza) in Como. It will help if you know your numbers in Italian, as they have the packs in race number order. I couldn't remeber the number 7 (sette) so had to mime and gurn my 3 digit race number in a most amusing way... :roll: :oops: I stayed with mrushton and can reccomend the hotel - it will do breakfast early if wanted and it's literally a 1 or 2 minute ride from the start (allowing us to shower and change before going back to the after-event lunch)! We got to Como by train, from Milan airport (with one change of train) with our bike bags. Once you get to Como the train station is about 10 minutes walk from the hotel Plinius, but we actually just got a taxi as I couldn't be arsed to drag/carry my bike bag and it doesn't have any wheels.

RE: about the event itself: It wasn't a hard event. I was great fun. I think it's ideal for a first time sportive event. The scenery is lovely and it's a great atmosphere. Listen out for the chapel bells pealing as you pass the chapel on the Ghisallo. The weather was wonderful when we did it - if it's sunny you may only need a short sleeved jersey and shorts, although arm warmers may be needed at the start (before you set off) The roads used are reasonably wide so there were few bottle necks though the pace slows considerably as soon asthe front riders begin to reach the first hill so it is a good idea to get as near to the front as you can to start with. The start and end is flat and very, very fast - you will find you're doing 40kph quite easily if you stay in the middle of the road in the slipstream. If you go to the edge you will lose a massive amount of speed so just keep your nerve and go for it. The climbs are not difficult - Just use a sensible gear, drink plenty and you'll be fine. Enjoy it!
  • Michael H
    Michael H Posts: 6
    Hi,

Some friends and I have made arrangements to travel over to Como to ride the Gran Fondo Giro di Lombardia in October. However, like the poster who started this thread, we have been unable to find out how to register for the event. Earlier in this thread someone recommended doing so via the sdim.it site. However, this year they are not providing that service for this Gran Fondo Giro di Lombardia. So back to the original question, I'm afraid. Does anyone know how to register for this event (when not going through an organised tour)?

Cheers.

Michael
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    There is an orphaned link to this year's event on this page:

http://www.gazzetta.it/granfondodelmito/#

I did it last year via sdam...highly recommended.

S
    Well. Certaintly...
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    I contacted SDAM a while back too and they have told me, even though its a listed event on their calendar, they have no longer been given the right to administer applications this year.

The tour companies are still selling the tours but think its kinda rude to ask them how to enter without going through them.

Has anyone else other than Michael and myself heard differently from SDAM?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Perhaps the organisers have taken a leaf out of ASO's book and are selling entries through tour company packages only. On the other hand they may simply be late getting the info sorted out -- Italian organisation -- and might be worth waiting a month or so to see what happens.
  • paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    I think it's called the "Challenge Gazetta" on the SDAM website. At least if you follow the link it takes you to the GL web page. Not open for registration yet though. Date is 18th Oct which looks about right?l
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    Last year I got introduced to Sean Dowden who does a trip to this event for UK riders http://www.italiancyclingtours.com. He is expecting to do the same this year.

I think it is just a matter of waiting for Gazzetta dello sport to sort out their website. I have also been told that SDAM will be providing the entries again.

Now...how to break the news to Mrs S? :?
    Well. Certaintly...
  • Thanks guys. I have recalibrated myself to "Italian" and relaxed accordingly. If it gets to the week before and I still have no way of justifying the flights and hotel, then and only then will I startt gibbering

Sounds like I might see some of you there.

I may take you up on your offer(s) for more info via PM closer to the time!

Regards

Mark
  • neil_pcp
    neil_pcp Posts: 65
    I emailed SDAM a few days ago they say they are not doing the race this year and someone else, who? will be managing it
    see copy of email below

I'm sorry but this year the race will be managed by anothe company.

Kind regards.

Il giorno 31/lug/09, alle ore 12:56, Power, Neil
    . ha scritto:

Apologies for the English email

Can you tell me if the gran fondo giro di Lombardia is going to occur (18th Oct 2009)

I wish to book flights but would like to know if the event is definitely going to happen before doing so.

Neil Power
    Neil
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    I'm just looking at sorting a trip to this event.
    Same question really. I have looked at flights/cars/hotels, just need an idea of how to enter the event.

Any idea how much it was last year to give me a guide?

Cheers and hopefully see some of you there!

JB
  • mrushton
    It was 40€ each to enter plus 13€ each I think for the transponders, part of the cost being refunded if you returned it. You can sign in the day before (Saturday) and have a wander around the stalls (Sidi,Elite etc)
    M.Rushton
  • Burton
    Thanks mrushton, do you mean you can effectively just enter on the day (albeit the day before!)
  • mrushton
    Yes, it seemed that way but of course there is a melee for the first couple of hours as those who have registered turn up clamouring for their stuff (chips,bags etc). Generally the Gazetta website will have details of registration nearer the time.
    M.Rushton
  • Sorry that my first post has to be bad news. I'm in the area at the moment and I have just been into Comobikes in (you guessed it) Como. The staff there have confimed that the Gran Fondo Giro Di Lombardia has been cancelled for "political" reasons as no one was prepared to authorise the road closures needed.
    I'm gutted as as I've been promising this to myself for years. The first time I've arranged time off in October and it's been called off.

What I would say though is if you have flights booked then come and ride in the area anyway, its absolutely fantastic.
  • Burton
    Was about to book flights today!

Does anyone have official conformation of this?
  • I can't point you in the direction of anything official. I had asked my sister in law who lives in the area to do a little investigating for me. She was told a few weeks ago in a different bike shop that it didn't look good for this year. Being the eternal optimist I decided to find out for myself. The staff of Comobikes certainly seemed very certain.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    What I would say though is if you have flights booked then come and ride in the area anyway, its absolutely fantastic.
    I'll second that, the area is great. Even if the ride isn't on, you will still have an excellent weekend. Although there are one or two roads that benefit from being closed, for example the narrow bit towards Bellagio and the descent off the Ghisallo.

Does anyone know what sort of time the riders in the race itself do the Madonna del Ghisallo time in?
  • Burton
    Any more updates?
    I'm going to ring ComoBikes in a while and hope they have some info (and that they speak English!!)
  • mrushton
    I think the main contact at ComoBike is Brent. Just go out and ride anyway. I rode part of the race route the day before (Fri), clockwise from Como and did about 150km. The road runs right next to the lake and there are plenty of towns,coffee shops etc to pose (I mean rest) in! You can ride up to Bellagio and over the Ghisallo on a seperate ride andif you like climbing there is a great one that goes right from the Bellagio road over to the other side of the lake. You need to look at a map to see what I mean.
    M.Rushton
  • neil_pcp
    neil_pcp Posts: 65
    leadballoon

thanks for the heads up on this I had been trying to email gazetta with little success

Neil
    Neil
  • Burton
    Really dissapointed, was looking forward to this but not willing to spring a load of cash if there isn't an organised ride on the Sunday.

If anyone hear's anything concrete please post on here!

I may try one of the sporting tours companies if I get chance today.

JB
  • mrushton
    Italy, on a Sunday in a beautiful location is awash with cyclists. Ok, there may not be a ride but we actually rode for longer and further than the actual organised ride we did. It's a stunning location (if the weather is good) and a great place to ride
    M.Rushton
  • Orright everyone,

I'm also trying to get definitive confirmation of whether or not this event will be running from a local contact.

For those with flights booked etc I attach a link to last year's site and a link to the route I rode (as recorded on the Garmin). It all went a bit pear-shaped at the end on the last descent into Como though as the organisers were taking down signage as I approached the finish.

http://www.gazzetta.it/challenge/percorso_lombardia.shtml
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Lombardia-2008

S
    Well. Certaintly...
  • sudholz wrote:
    Orright everyone,

I'm also trying to get definitive confirmation of whether or not this event will be running from a local contact.

For those with flights booked etc I attach a link to last year's site and a link to the route I rode (as recorded on the Garmin). It all went a bit pear-shaped at the end on the last descent into Como though as the organisers were taking down signage as I approached the finish.

http://www.gazzetta.it/challenge/percorso_lombardia.shtml
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Lombardia-2008

S
    If you have a Garmin you can download turn by turn directions from this link
    http://www.gazzetta.it/challenge/lombardia_garmin.shtml
  • Sorry that my first post has to be bad news. I'm in the area at the moment and I have just been into Comobikes in (you guessed it) Como. The staff there have confimed that the Gran Fondo Giro Di Lombardia has been cancelled for "political" reasons as no one was prepared to authorise the road closures needed.
    I'm gutted as as I've been promising this to myself for years. The first time I've arranged time off in October and it's been called off.

This is what I suggested in another thread about 6 weeks ago after checking with contacts in Italy and was promptly dismissed by other posters.

It's a shame about the Lombardia event, but there are loads of other granfondo events taking place in Italy during the year and many are very well organised. Don't be put off from trying an Italian event just because the Gazetta ones have gone tits up.
  • OK, I've been in touch with people in Italy and unofficial word is that the sportive probably isn't going to happen, so beware of booking an overpriced package from a sports-holiday company.

Apparently RCS prematurely closed entry to the Sanremo one earlier this year and then cancelled the Pinerolo "Etape" for the Giro, so it sounds like a loss of interest by the organisers, perhaps another consequence of the credit-crunch late last year.
    But the way it read was more a criticism of tour operators, and was supported by misinformation.
    There has yet to be an official answer either way from the organisers.
  • From my contact on Lake Como last night:
    The event has been cancelled due to road closure problems apparently.
    Confirmed tonight by the local bike shop. But things can change quickly here so I will keep an ear to the ground.
    The shop is not Comobikes and the message seems consistent with what most posters have been saying for a while. However stranger things have happened than an Italian Sportive being set up from scratch in a month.

Mrs S has been informed of my non-participation in the event this year.... :wink:

S
    Well. Certaintly...
  • I'm pretty sure this isn't happening now, as the Gran Fondo calendar that I normally refer to says it's been cancelled. It is not showing up in the list of fixtures for October either.

http://www.lecomaridellamdd.it/calendariogf/default.asp
    (in red print across the top)

The story about lack of Police support could be true. Last year the reviews on the event were not good due to the lack of marshalls/police on the junctions. That area gets quite busy with traffic and many riders found the event to be unsafe.

I rode the only Gazzetta Challenge event that took place this year, the San-Remo event in March. They had to reduce the number of entrants for security reasons as well, due to a lack of police support.

Maybe they'll get the problem resolved for next year.

Still, if you want to do a Gran Fondo in a scenic part of Italy there are quite a few others still going on before the year is out. Check out the events list on the calendar.
    http://www.lecomaridellamdd.it/calendariogf/default.asp
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.