Confoozed...

carbonfibre
carbonfibre Posts: 72
edited July 2009 in MTB general
So my hardtail goes over bumpy stuff pretty well, but if I want the experience to be less jarring, I need to pay more in order to get a heavier bike with inferior components?

:?

Also, what's the difference between all the rear suspension set-ups? Or rather, why would you need a Five Pro instead of an Anthem X2? What is that extra £1,000 really getting me?

Are these long travel bikes simply for serious stuff up in the Welsh mountains etc?

Cheers folks!

Comments

• CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Whoop! Whoop! WARNING!

Potential hardtail vs full-suss thread...must....resist... :lol:
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Just loosen your legs and arms and let them do the suss for you :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Journos always go on about how much fun a full sus' is. I guess that's what it comes down to: you can't really tackle big stuff on a hardtail.

I dunno, how serious is the terrain out there? I'm just a soft Southern boy who likes tree roots and hardened horses footprints...
  • CycloRos
    ... ok I've buckled :)

Almost any half decent bike with a half decent rider is "fun" so don't neccessarily believe the media hype!

Its true full-sussers can tackle bigger terrain more efficiently than a hardtail and the further up the travel you go the stronger the build tends to be. The result is the rider becomes that little bit more confident. However... it doesn't mean the same trail couldn't be done on a hardtail especially one that's built strong, you just have to pick your lines better.
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    hardtails will hit anything if you know what you are doing, and in my opinion are more fun, why is a hardtail more fun? becouse even playing in the woods can be chalanging, why go looking for bigger knarlier mountains when a ht can make your local stuff fun!
    if you want a more comfy ride on your ht, get some properly fat tyres, and run low presures, also it payes to learn how to handle the bumps, you will become a better rider riding a HT. the diff betweenm rear sus desighnes is mostly in attempts to reduce weight, improve bump-eating ability, and improve efficency. long travel bikes(by which i presume you mean 140,150 mm +) are mostly for riding bigger stuff, and are (usualy ) very fovused on the downward side of things.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    FS is more comfy over long distances.
  • CycloRos
    Every bike is a compromise in some way.

Which is the excuse I give to the missus when she asks why I need yet another bike "this bike is so much better for X than my Y! that's why I need it" :lol:
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    If I was going out on a long ride I would probably take my full sus for comfort, but if I was out to tackle climbs and put some speed down on flat trails, the hard tail it is.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    FULL SUS IZ TEH BESTESTTTTTTTT EVA!!11!1!!

:lol::wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • randomage
    randomage Posts: 100
    Who let the gorilla out of the cage?
    "The day after tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. That way, you always have a couple of days in hand." - Bill Bailey
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    FS bikes make technical terrain at lot easier - just sit back and let the bike sort it out.
  • joshtp
    hard tail vs full sus debate coming on i feel! pass the pocorn, and get ready for battle!
    hardtail,hardtail,hardtail!
    (just becouse i cant afford a decent full sus and want to make i look like i choose a HT over a FS anyway!)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The cost gets to me though. Seems like you have to pay an awful lot of money just to have a back that goes boing!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Add say 250 for a fox shock, all the pivots and bearings, the complicated alignment process, testing... adds up!

Some good deals about though.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i love my hardtail i really do its an absolute joy to throw around and yes it does kill my back most rides, but i know ive had fun.

then i started testing sussers, more specically 5-6 inch sussers. oh dear lord what have i been missing out on!!!!!! they really are the bees knees lol

no joke i knocked half an hour off my best time round cannock on a spicy and i didnt even feel tired. they just make it easier and although they lose abit of the involvement a hardtail gives, you dont tend to miss it

needless to say my next bike will be a susser but after that im gona buy a steel single speed fo abit of hardcore

long live the hardtail, but everyone needs a susser :D
  • lawman wrote:
    ...5-6 inch sussers. oh dear lord what have i been missing out on!!!!!! they really are the bees knees lol

no joke i knocked half an hour off my best time round cannock on a spicy and i didnt even feel tired. they just make it easier and although they lose abit of the involvement a hardtail gives, you dont tend to miss it

needless to say my next bike will be a susser

I'm slowly starting to feel it.

Anyone else?
  • CycloRos
    I'm slowly starting to feel it.

Anyone else?

what a pain in your back? or the need for a full-suss? wait the answer is probably both :wink:

I think it depends on the type of riding you do really. For where I live my hardtail is more than capable tackling most things, but I'm glad of the old Stumpy when I'm out on all day epics in Wales or Scotland.
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • lawman
    yer hardtails are good for most things but for proper speed and comfort a suuser is the way forward. a bike is always gonna be compromised, its just what compromise you wanna take, the lower wieght/cost of a hardtail or the comfort/speed of a susser

simple solution is have both :D
  • OK.

So back to my earlier question, why spend a 1,000 pounds more on say an Orange Five Pro over an Anthem...or 1,400 more against a Prophet 2?

Is it simply a case of less weight and better bits?
  • lawman
    yer pretty much

but you have to consider manufacturing/ company size

a small company like orange can never match cannondale/spesh or giant on value

plus most frames are built in taiwan so handbuilding in briton or the us is gonna effect cost

but generally more money gets you more of what the bike is for, so cross country bikes lose weight downhill bikes get better suspension
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Often yes. But some brands seem to just cost more for reasons I just cannot fathom.
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    FS is more comfy over long distances.

I used to think this, but FS requires the rider to sit in the saddle and pedal high cadence to remove suspension bobbing. Whereas a HT allows the rider to, more comfortably, ride in and out of the saddle as they so desire, without the bike bobbing and wasting energy. Sitting in the saddle all day is not always comfortable, so you could say a HT is potentially more comfortable.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Often yes. But some brands seem to just cost more for reasons I just cannot fathom.

Never a truer word spoken !!
  • lawman
    intense, cove, rocky mountain, litespeed, foes, basically most brands that make frame onlys, with the exception of rocky mountain who do make expensive full bikes
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    Journos always go on about how much fun a full sus' is. I guess that's what it comes down to: you can't really tackle big stuff on a hardtail.

I dunno, how serious is the terrain out there? I'm just a soft Southern boy who likes tree roots and hardened horses footprints...

:shock: errr

course you can your arms and legs are the plushest, progessive shockobzorbers ever!!

hardtails just make just learn to ride better as you dont have the assistance and have to do it all your self so have nothing to fall back on

if it is really bumby crouch over the saddle with pedals level and bend arms more but most importance stay loose :wink:
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • joshtp
    every one is going on about how full sus makes riding easier and comfortable. if you want a comfy ride get a touring bike and ride on the road, if you want a real tech chalange, more than you want braging"i did this knarly section" rights, a HT has to be better.ride a harder bike on easyer trails, or ride a big smooth everything out bike on a big mountain, very few of us have an alpe in the back gardain!
    I like bikes and stuff