First 60 mile ride - nutrition advice please!!!

2»

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Agree with Frenchfighter...... energy drinks are a good thing if you are not used to that sort of mileage. The electrolytes and nutrients lost in sweat and exertion can't be replaced as quickly by any other means. My current fave is to use the measurements on SIS bottles...... pour SIS Go lemon and lime powder in to reach the 6% mark, then top that up to the 8% mark with lemon PSP22 to give you a small carb boost as well. Worked for me doing 70 miles in the heat.

If you feel that you are flagging then try to keep going, but go to a low gear and spin at a slow speed while you refuel yourself...... if you bonk and stop it will be incredibly hard to get going again.

No matter how good you feel before 40 miles do NOT start trying to get some speed up and wherever you can restrain yourself from pedalling hard try to freewheel down hills.

Smile and enjoy it and don't let yourself be forced to speed up or stop because of traffic behind you. Ride confidently and safely and have fun
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    High5 works really well IMO as an energy drink and makes a huge difference compared to water(you might prefer PSP or GO just depends)
    Find an energy gel you like(personally Torq Stawberry and yoghurt or Maxim) A couple of those and that's more than enough. Flap jacks don't work if you intend to push on as it all gets too dry
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    For relaxed riding muesli bars, flapjack, malt loaf, peanut butter and jam sandwiches, etc. with some kind of energy drink is more than adequate. An energy gel or two might come in handy towards the end of the ride for a boost. As others have probably said, a good meal of pasta the evening before the ride and a good breakfast (porridge or weetabix for me usually) the day of the ride will make a significant difference.
    More problems but still living....
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Pork pies are good

Bannanas, although they can gety squashed!

I take a packet of Skittles, for a high sugar energy rush if getting tired

I'd extend current runs to one and a half to two hours, and vary the routes

It'll take 4 hours, so pace yourself.

Pork pies are good, flap jacks and jelly beans. Sounds a bit silly but they all work really well, trust me.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.