Knocked off my bike yesterday

Gdawson
Gdawson Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

Just joined this site today.
Yesterday i was knocked off my bike by a very ignorant woman who failed to stop. i am 99% sure she knows she hit me as she pulled out from a give way junction and i went flying to other side of the road!
i immediately called 999 and reported it, i noted the registration number and have also seen the car around so i knew it was a local one.
i had a witness to the accident and his details were also passed onto the police during the 999 call.
i was pretty shaken up and managed to leave some arm and knee skin on the road at impact. my cycling jersey and glove was also ripped and to top it off my shoulder is now killing me.

when i went home i called the police again as i had time to calm down and get myself together and i am not in any way shape or form leaving it at this.

i went this morning to the police station to give statement (it was closed when accident happened yesterday) and to find out if anything was done last night ... i.e. did the police go to visit this woman, has she been breath tested....
THE RESPONSE SHOCKED ME!!!!

"no, we are not allowed to do that"

why the hell not?? she knocked me off my bike, onto on coming traffic, drove off from the scene... for all i know she was drunk at time and failed to stop because she was worried about that.
i can not believe this style of policing exists where its not acted upon there and then. no police have been out to see me to see if am ok.... the favour seems to be in her shoes at the moment... makes a mockery of the system if you ask me.

anyway... rant over.... police have been informed, they will be in touch and i am also in contact with a no win no fee company to see if i am eligible for a claim should my shoulder injury not heal up.

Greg "injured" Dawson

Comments

• King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    YES, of course

I don't pretend to know the first bit about what they can/can't do but that does sound a tad ridiculous when you have independent witness. In defence of the police they have been very helpful to me in the past. Make sure it gets followed up.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    That is trully a joke. Glad your not more seriously hurt, hopefuly you'll get a nice fat payout to buy some new toys :)
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    Me too!

Sorry to hear about your accident. I too got knocked off at the weekend. Escaped with relatively minor aches and scrapes (Bloody ache though!) but helmet, wheel etc a mess. Bit of a reality check after years of problem free riding.

I agree with you that the police's reaction is disgraceful in your case and that you should use the lawyers to get it all sorted. I have an instinctive aversion to the claim/blame culture but that is definately the right use of the system.

In my case the elderly gent who hadn't seen my bright red clothing as I came around the island :shock: did stop and exchanged details and admitted liability in front of a witness. So I'm hopeful that it'll all be sorted amicably once the LBS have assessed the damage
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Watch the shoulder dude...I'm six month's in...driver error, she was more shocked than me, but I think mine is goosed......British Cycling sorting my case....

Shoulders are terribly complicated......

Get a cycle specific solicitor to sort it......

I've had MRI's / nerve tests, and still don't know what's wrong...and paid a fortune out for physio - had some back in interim payments.

The police didn't penalise the driver, but the insurers will - they have open access these days to the third party's insurer.... I just had her reg, phone, address..all sorted...yep xxx insurer....blah blah....insurer did not contest liability, but the claim for pain etc will take a very long time.........
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    You should make an official complaint against the police.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Failure to stop and report an accident is a bad one surely? I know a lad who got a visit from the police for knocking off another cars mirror and not stopping and reporting so surely they should pay this "lady " a visit.
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    I'd find the bitch and give her a good kicking!!!
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Unlucky. I got a similar response when I ended up in hopsital with a damaged pelvis after someone leaned out of a car window to push me off. My hip landed on the corner of the curb.

I thought that was a prisonable offence, but apparantly not.

I was told by the police "they were probably doing for a laugh".

:roll:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    teagar wrote:
    Unlucky. I got a similar response when I ended up in hopsital with a damaged pelvis after someone leaned out of a car window to push me off. My hip landed on the corner of the curb.

Would not have been so funny if it was you head you hit :evil:
  • teagar
    Sicknote wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Would not have been so funny if it was you head you hit :evil:

I guess not.

Having my parents dry me, clothe me and help me go to the toilet for around a week because I couldn't wasn't particularly funny either.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    All the best Greg - follow it through re Police and see if you can get some answers - if you've got the number plate, and there's any CCTV? to place her at/near scene at time you might get further.

Good luck with it.
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235

thats outragous. thats seriously insensitive to say the least. I hope you got the collar number of the officer who said that to you and you complained. Its bad enough being hurt in an accident without being hurt again by the Police's lack of care and total apathy towards you and your situation.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    +!, I would have kicked right off......
  • teagar
    +!, I would have kicked right off......

:lol:

very funny :P

To be honest, I was just glad the doctor told me that it was unlikely to do lasting damage.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,993
    some upsetting responses from the police here.

Whereas if you were speeding in your car.................
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Par the course these days.

My accident last year I was lying in the back of the ambulance on the stretcher being attended to and the stupid PC comes and tries to get me to sign a statement for her notebook! Paramedic told her in no uncertain terms to get out.

Hit and run for me and nothing was ever done.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I hope they find her and throw the book at her based on those circumstances. The only thing I would say is I would have thought they can't go round and breathalize her as she, in theory, may have just got home and decided to down a few beers.

Really hope she is caught though.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    It always amazes me that the underlying reason this sort of thing happens is money - car v car equals damage and someone has to quite literally pay. To your average driver - and we're probably all both drivers and cyclists - knocking a person off a bike is a bit like tripping someone over in the street. In rank order I'd say drivers are more concerned about no claims bonuses and the inconvenience of a courtesy car than they are your bike and your bones.

Hope you recover quickly and get back out soon as.