Budget rims

fatgit
fatgit Posts: 166
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
I'm looking for some new rims as my rear is already slightly buckled after only a few hundred miles :( unfortunately I don't have a fortune to spend but want some that will withstand a little more than the current set (they are Rigida Nova 700C before you ask)

appologies that my first post is a "what should i get" but we all have to start somewhere, right?

Comments

  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Rims or wheels?

    If you want some tough but cheap rims then you might want to look at Rigida Chrina
    More problems but still living....
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    amaferanga wrote:
    Rims or wheels?

    If you want some tough but cheap rims then you might want to look at Rigida Chrina

    Sorry I meant wheels!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    fatgit wrote:
    I'm looking for some new rims as my rear is already slightly buckled after only a few hundred miles :( unfortunately I don't have a fortune to spend but want some that will withstand a little more than the current set (they are Rigida Nova 700C before you ask)

    appologies that my first post is a "what should i get" but we all have to start somewhere, right?

    Buckled, or just needs truing up??
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Buckled, or just needs truing up??

    Probably just need truing up but I don't really know what to do to a bike unless it's in the Haynes manual!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi mate,

    Just take the wheel into a good local bike shop (LBS) and I bet it only needs truing...

    That'll cost next to nowt if indeed, nowt.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    If you do want new wheels then what's your budget?
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Hi mate,

    Just take the wheel into a good local bike shop (LBS) and I bet it only needs truing...

    That'll cost next to nowt if indeed, nowt.

    cool, that suits my budget nicely :D

    I will need new wheels eventually though so the question still stands (although by then hopefully I'll have a little more money to spend!)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fatgit,

    we'd need to know your budget before the kit ferreters can find something for you...
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    If you do want new wheels then what's your budget?

    As little as possible whilst getting something that is decent quality! I have quite a few things I "need" to buy at the moment so it's all about prioritising really!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that's very difficult to answer then, are we talking 100 quid? More? Can you stretch to 200? More?

    Throw me a frickin' bone here! :o

    dr_evil_laser.jpg
  • TarmacExpert
    TarmacExpert Posts: 204
    There is probably nothing wrong with the rims, the wheel may just have not been built very well, and hence has gone out of true quite quickly. It really isn't hard to true a wheel yourself. Once you get used to thinking about what effect tightening or loosening a spoke has, it's all pretty obvious. There are lots of guides out there on how to true a wheel:

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to ... el+bicycle
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Well i know that my RS10's have seen some very rough rides and still as straight as an arrow if that's of any use.......
    Like these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25888

    I should say though, i'm a skinny git at 64kg
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    NapoleonD wrote:
    that's very difficult to answer then, are we talking 100 quid? More? Can you stretch to 200? More?

    Throw me a frickin' bone here! :o

    dr_evil_laser.jpg

    If I need to spend £200 to get decent wheels then I will but if I only need to spend £20 I know how much I'd prefer to spend!! I genuinely have no idea what wheels are decent or I wouldn't be asking the question, I assume the more you spend the better you get but it's always worth asking.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 for RS10's; 68kg but trying to do something about it.
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    keef66 wrote:
    +1 for RS10's; 68kg but trying to do something about it.

    Cheers, do you think they'll withstand my 95Kg? (it WILL be 90Kg soon)
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Just get your current wheels trued up. I would not go for low spoke count type wheels if I were you. They are much harder to fix. When you do want to get new wheels, get something tough such as the aforementioned Rigida Chrina rims on nice Shimano hubs. You'll still have to have them trued every once in a while, but they'll last you.

    Also, do pay attention to how you ride. If you clobber potholes and curbs etc, or don't unweigh the bike a little when you hit things, you'll put the wheel out of true more often.
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    acorn_user wrote:
    Just get your current wheels trued up.
    That's the plan for now, just need to find time to get to the LBS now!
    acorn_user wrote:
    I would not go for low spoke count type wheels if I were you. They are much harder to fix. When you do want to get new wheels, get something tough such as the aforementioned Rigida Chrina rims on nice Shimano hubs. You'll still have to have them trued every once in a while, but they'll last you.
    Thanks, how much should I expect to pay for a wheel to be trued?
    acorn_user wrote:
    Also, do pay attention to how you ride. If you clobber potholes and curbs etc, or don't unweigh the bike a little when you hit things, you'll put the wheel out of true more often.
    I try my best but sometimes things are just unavoidable :(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Don't know; waiting for someone heavier to chip in...

    They are low spoke count though, and as acorn_user says, will be trickier to true if I do bend them.

    I'm with the others; I bet a decent bike shop will true the ones you've got for a couple of quid
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Are the wheels you have currently the ones supplied with your bike? Might be an idea to get your lbs to re-true and tension them so that they are a lot tougher
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    Are the wheels you have currently the ones supplied with your bike? Might be an idea to get your lbs to re-true and tension them so that they are a lot tougher
    They are the ones that came with it, do wheels have a tendancy to come without enough tension on the spokes?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    generally wheels that arrive on bikes, unless they're very expensive wheels will be machine built and not well tensioned.

    There is a good thread in the mtb section about wheel strength, an evenly tensioned wheel will do you fine without replacing any new part.