trance 3 forks

meat
meat Posts: 90
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Hi all can you all help me out. i have just got a trance 3 bike and i'am not happy with the front forks on them. so i'am going to replace them with new ones..... what would you all change them for ?? looking at about £500 tops...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the current fork is a What? (make/model/year)

you may note that Manufactures do reserve the right to change the specs not only over the years but during the year!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    is it the 2008 model with the Tora 100mm air fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • meat
    yea thats the one mate ...
  • nicklouse
    Personally i would give them a bit more time to bed in and you get the settings right.

You are looking toi spend what about half the bikes value again!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good fork the air toras. use a lot of parts the more expensive RS have.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    My mates practically fell to bits on him within 3 months (same bike), scary loud rebound clunk, dust seals constantly coming out of the legs, wouldnt keep pressure. RS replaced them under warranty for a better pair of toras (318 solo's i think). If they are still under warranty and you have mechanical probs with them then take em back.
  • scottyjohn
    scottyjohn Posts: 143
    Ive got a trance 3 and had rockshox SIDs 2008 on, but they bent! I spoke with the guy at the SRAM van at Fort Bill last week and he said to send them back to RS as that it is definitely a warranty issue. So hopefully they will replace the lowers and I can then sell them on. I really liked them, but after a lot of riding and a bit of googling, I realised that you can fit up to 130mm on the trance frame with no issues. So I took some advice and have fitted a pair of cheaply bought RS Recons, which look more sturdy on the lowers, and are adjustable out to 130mm. I have been out with them at 100mm and they were good, just gonna get my lbs to adjust them out to 130mm to see how they feel.

Was a bit gutted as the white forks looked amazing with my white flat pedals! :D
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    meat wrote:
    Hi all can you all help me out. i have just got a trance 3 bike and i'am not happy with the front forks on them. so i'am going to replace them with new ones..... what would you all change them for ?? looking at about £500 tops...

What is it about them that you don't like?
  • meat
    might just be me i dont one.. only been biking for about 2-3 month now. but i think it might be my weight ( 17 stone 6 ). the front forks just seem to drop out alot. i have them up yo 235lb.. like i say it might just be me ...
  • nicklouse
    what do you mean by "drop out alot"?

how much sag do you have?
  • meat
    sounds like i need to take this to a shop to see if i have it set up right... sounds like i dont.. sag i have it set at 25%... and buy saying drop out alot.. my front forks keep going all the way up to the top...
  • nicklouse
    then you need more air pressure.

you are setting the sag in the attack position and NOT while just sat on it?
  • meat
    set the sag after on drop.. is that right ??
  • nicklouse
    No. you on the bike on the pedals standing and leaning forward abit. (while leaning against a wall so as not to fall over) previously having put a marker of a fork leg so you can see how much sag you get.
  • meat
    thanks for all your help nicklouse i will do that today..... cheers
  • Dirtydog11
    might just be me i dont one.. only been biking for about 2-3 month now. but i think it might be my weight ( 17 stone 6 ). the front forks just seem to drop out alot. i have them up yo 235lb.. like i say it might just be me ...

As Nick says check your sag...........but , if all else fails then I'd be looking for a new air fork wih adjustable low speed compression damping.

I think most forks are setup for Mr average but 17stone 6lb is not average!

I used to run Marzzochi MX comp's but they had a tendency to dive under heavy breaking.
    I was forever messing with the oil levels/air pressure but couldn't get rid of the dive without upsetting the small bump sensiivity.

Adjutable low speed compression is what you need!
  • meat
    thanks dirtdog what fork would you replace mine with ?????
  • Dirtydog11
    Probably something like a Rock Shox Reba Race as it has low speed compression adjustment.

I'm not saying compression adjustment is the be all and end all but it will allow you to dial out some of the dive.

Are you sure its 2008 Trance? Could your bike be the 2007 model as it came with a tora 289 coil sprung fork . If it is, then it may well just be a case of fitting stiffer springs.

How are you adjusting your sag?
  • meat
    it has the tora 302 forks.. left fork has the air one.. really cramp on bike parts ..lol
  • Dirtydog11
    edited June 2009
    meat wrote:
    it has the tora 302 forks.. left fork has the air one.. really cramp on bike parts ..lol

Defo air then!

As I said Reba Races are probably what I'd go for as they have compression adjustment. Reba Teams are nice but expensive at the moment.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18

Theres a review of the 2008 race model here

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... race-31348
  • meat
    Thanks for that i will keep them in mind mate ...
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    FYI I have an 07 trance 3 with 08 130mm dual air rockshox revelations on it. its a scream