Peaty: should he be honoured?

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited June 2009 in MTB general
If Hoy can get knighted for winning medals at a part of cycling no bugger ever does, and Pendleton an MBE too, why not Peaty for the vast amount of titles, wins and his services to the sport? Why, when MTBing is so much more popular than track cycling does the latter get more attention?

Odd state of affairs!

Comments

• projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    supersonic wrote:
    If Hoy can get knighted for winning medals at a part of cycling no bugger ever does, and Pendleton an MBE too, why not Peaty for the vast amount of titles, wins and his services to the sport? Why, when MTBing is so much more popular than track cycling does the latter get more attention?

Odd state of affairs!

Alex Ferguson told a bunch of men how to play a game and got knighted.

If I remember correctly David Beckham or maybe some other footballer got an MBE or something for kicking a ball.

personally I don't think sports stars should be knighted etc. I think that should be reserved for people that actually save people etc. firefighters risk there life and limb rescuing people and doctors/nurses do a grand job too but yet they don't get knighted etc.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,983
    Peaty wouldn't get enough headlines for the PR department of the labour party
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I think he deserves something. Isn't he Britain's most sucessful cyclist (think I read that somewhere recently)?

And still nothing for Bruce Forsyth!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I think it's a bloody shame that the majority of his local community doesn't even know who he his/what he does.

We should be proud of the local lad, but outside of the mtb enthusiasts, nobody is that aware of him around here. He should be a local hero.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    supersonic wrote:

Odd state of affairs!

Alex Ferguson told a bunch of men how to play a game and got knighted.

If I remember correctly David Beckham or maybe some other footballer got an MBE or something for kicking a ball.

personally I don't think sports stars should be knighted etc. I think that should be reserved for people that actually save people etc. firefighters risk there life and limb rescuing people and doctors/nurses do a grand job too but yet they don't get knighted etc.

I disagree with that, our sportsmen should be honoured for their services, but the system needs to work less on popularity and more on sucess.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    who?

thats what the response of 99.99% of the population would be.

MTB is insular and elitist, he has done little to bring the sport to the general public and his results, although impressive, are hardly outstanding enough to warrant an honour of this magnitude.

nobody outside of mtb gives a nats chuff about mtb.
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    who?

MTB is insular and elitist, he has done little to bring the sport to the general public and his results, although impressive, are hardly outstanding enough to warrant an honour of this magnitude.

Ask at work whether they think Steve Peat should get honours and you will be greeted with that exact response . . . He is a legend to us but thats all.

Ask the cleaning lady what she thinks of Shandro, Hunter, Berrecloth or McCaul and wait for the vacant expression.

Sh!t shame but we really are not popular we ae just an athletic bunch of geeks really when you look at it.
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • supersonic
    who?

Has done little to bring the sport to the general public? Rubbish! Lots of charity work involving bikes, work with young people and various other activities push MTbing forward. And if 8 national champs, 3 euro champs, and 3 worldcups isn't outstanding, I don't what is!

I blame the BBC hehe. Does the public really care about track cycling? Or just watch it when on TV? Must be several orders of magnitude more people who participate in MTB than track.
  • Banned!
    peaty, although undoubtedly a mover and shaker in mtb world, is completely unknown outside our sport.

ask 10 people in the street who he is and i can pretty much guarantee nobody will have a clue. tell him that he once won the world cup in a sport that they know bugger all about (and care even less) and they will simply shrug. now tell them he desreves and MBE and see how much support you get.

"Eh? some guy who rides his bike down a hill should get an mbe even though we've never heard of him, he hasnt won olympic gold or anything, hasnt brought tourism or money to the country and hasnt exactly been an ambassador for the sport as we've never bloody heard of him, but he should be honoured for finishing 6th at fort william this year and has little chance of winning the world championship ever again."

yeah, right.
  • supersonic
    And if riding around in circles on a smooth banked track warrants a knighthood lol.

I'd never heard of Hoy until the last olympics.

Remember Peaty just won 2 rounds of the WC in a row - he's got a great chance of the overall title (which he leads) and the world champs.

Many unheard of people get MBEs - not for who they are but what they have done, a recognition of that. maybe that is what the sports needs, and the man on the street to think that cycling is more than just road bikes and track bikes.
  • Banned!
    the people who nobody has heard of in the honours list are generally captains of industry or reseachers in medicine or science who have either started a new business and employed a whole town or have discovered a cure or process that will benefit mankind as a whole.

riding your bike down a hill quite fast means nothing to anybody.
  • supersonic
    edited June 2009
    Or all the other sports stars who have achieved even less in even less of a 'minority' sport. There is plenty of provision for local heroes of sport:

"In addition to the Olympic and Paralympic heroes there are MBEs for local heroes of sport, including Lincoln Moses, the general manager of Birmingham community football side Continental Star FC, Dorothy Neyland, honoured for more than 30 years voluntary service as a gymnastics coach in Swansea, and veteran tennis player Gerald Ells, who was until recently the number two singles player in the world rankings for the over 85s. "

Or paid off the someone in the system.
  • Banned!
    edited June 2009
    or are involved in sports like sailing, skiing, horseriding, cycling. you know, the non hooligan sports that are the preserve of the middle and upper classes

face it, peaty is involved in a sport that is for nutters and nobody in the higher echelons is about to give some lunatic in body armour a gong.

edit for spelling
  • supersonic
    or are involved in sports like sailing, skiing, horseriding, cycling. you know, the non hooligan sports that are the preserve on the middle and upper classes

I think you hit the nail on the head there actually! Its the beeb too!
  • im sure you can petition for this to happen, not sure where or how, but if someone with the time to look it up can do so then go for it, there'd be a few folk on here who'd back it up.

noone had heard of joe calzaghe outside of boxing until a few years back and he'd been world champ for 10 years, now he's got some kind of honour, no reason why Peaty cant do the same
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • TBH.... I don't even know who HOY is or what he did without looking over the net. So yeah, Peaty should have his success recognized.
  • Banned!
    so, because youve heard his name he should get a mention on the honours list?

thats what youre saying. nobody outside of track racing had heard of hoy until he did whatever it was he did. does the fact that a lot of people who know who he was mean he should have been honoured? same goes for peat. few outside the sport know or care who he is and our sport, DH, is a tiny minority of a small percentage of a minority sport.

peat, although a great rider, is just and only that. a rider.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    You shouldnt really get honoured for excelling in something that you really enjoy doing, and probably get very well paid to do, in my opinion.

Queens birthday honours etc should be reserved for those who save peoples lives, do lots of work for charity etc...generally un-sung heroes.

For sports people we should do what the Americans do, and have them recognised in 'Halls of Fame', which is an honour of sorts.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • supersonic
    Seems to be another discussion forming here - are any sports people worthy of honours?

My argument is if Hoy, why not Peat? Well I know why, it has been mentioned.
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    Seems to be another discussion forming here - are any sports people worthy of honours?

only if they save someones life, or do lots for charity :P
  • Banned!
    Hoy did a huge amount to raise the profile of his sport, he is an innovator, an olympic champion and a driving force behind the sports developement. thats why he was honoured.

peaty is none of those things.

people like beckham are populist choices and should be discounted.
  • supersonic
    Innovator and driving force? Why?
  • Banned!
    hoy developes and designs bikes for all the disciplines within track racing. he is, to be blunt, a genius.
  • Si78
    British olympic medal winners usually do get honours, because like Jesus_Christ says, they raise the profile of their sport etc. And because we as a country are pretty un-used to success at world-wide level.

I still think that sports stars should have a separate honours system tho. The BBC sports personality thing doesnt encompass enough sports for example.

Like I said earlier, doing something you love doing and get well rewarded for doesnt mean you should necessarily get honoured for it.
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    Si78 wrote:
    You shouldnt really get honoured for excelling in something that you really enjoy doing, and probably get very well paid to do, in my opinion.

Sport can have a massive influence on a country, it can reach way beyond the importance of the match of the event. I know its a little extreme compared to Steve Peat but take the example of South Africa winning the rugby world cup in 1995, the springbok shirt once being a symbol of oppression and hatred; being worn by the countries first black leader and an entire country being united for probably the first time ever behind a common cause. Nobody can deny the impact that tournament had on the country, so why not honor the men who made that happen, because actually they probably did save lives all be it indirectly
  • Si78
    rwalworth wrote:
    Si78 wrote:

Sport can have a massive influence on a country, it can reach way beyond the importance of the match of the event. I know its a little extreme compared to Steve Peat but take the example of South Africa winning the rugby world cup in 1995, the springbok shirt once being a symbol of oppression and hatred; being worn by the countries first black leader and an entire country being united for probably the first time ever behind a common cause. Nobody can deny the impact that tournament had on the country, so why not honor the men who made that happen, because actually they probably did save lives all be it indirectly

Ok, but did they set out to do that in the first place? No. They wanted to play rugby, which they enjoy doing, and probably get well rewarded for.
  • supersonic
    I guess part of the reason for this thread is the media disinterest in MTB when so many more people participate in it compared to track cycling. The media make track cycling what it is. I am sure if MTB got more coverage then there would be more world class events, more honours and the sport being accepted alongside roadriding and track.
  • Naveed
    Naveed Posts: 728
    Mtbing just never gets the recognition it deserves and this sadly applies to Peaty. It's the naughty child of the cycling world and that is magnified when it comes to DH.

I still remember the day I ask my sports editor about doing a feature on the Athertons - will never forget the look he gave me when he said people in the UK only care about football.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Naveed wrote:
    I still remember the day I ask my sports editor about doing a feature on the Athertons - will never forget the look he gave me when he said people in the UK only care about football.

Didn't stop the Observer. :wink:
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Naveed wrote:

Thing is he's right isn't he?