Strange incident with motorist.People are weird.

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
I had my first near confrontation with a motorist today after nearly 2 years of road riding
I did a 50 mile ride and was coming down the street where I live at the end of it,extremely fatigued, when a car that must have been delayed by me by 5 or 6 seconds honked me as it overtook.I barely noticed,being knackered and did nothing.He then stopped in the road and started waving his arms and clapping in his rear view mirror.I had nowhere to go because of parked cars on either side and he was obviously trying to get a reaction so in my tired,unthinking state I gave him the finger.I think they {he had a passenger} were about to get out of the car and not being in a fit state to defend myself or "back up my actions" and not really being one to brawl with motorists in the street anyway,I did the sensible thing and ducked betwen the cars onto the pavement and buggered off in the opposite direction.I could have overtaken him on the pavement but then they might have followed me home,plus there was a road to cross where they could have run me down so I don`t see what else I could have done.People are strange.
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    chicken - stand and fight next time.....
  • antfly
    You mean take my beating like a man?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    antfly wrote:
    You mean take my beating like a man?

possibly - although who's to say you wouldn't have won..?
  • antfly
    Well there was 2 of them and I could barely sit up.
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Perhaps he was a cycling fan and applauding you for your;

a) Nice bike
    b) Toned muscular legs
    c) Buns of steel
    d) Nice cycling gear
    e) In recognition of a 50 mile ride (he may have had really good eyesight and glanced at your computer as he passed...........................)

Or, maybe he was just another tosser in a car?

Cheehee
  • antfly
    I think the latter. It was certainly extremely odd behaviour on his part , I presume he was some sort of nut who hates cyclists and takes being delayed by them very personally and very seriously indeed.Thinking about it I probably should have got my phone out to take a photo,that seems to work for others.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    I think the majority of Motorists need to be re-educated about their way of thinking about getting "held up" for a few seconds, and not by just bicycles. What really is their big hurry that they can't afford a few seconds delay? I tend to totally ignore beeping/gesturating motorists these days, not that I do much to upset them.
    On the other hand I tend to give motorists who have given me time and space a friendly wave or nod, and their are a lot (I don't ride in cities that often). I must admit a couple of times I've wished cars behind me have passed a bit sooner (where it's been safe to do so) on some of the back roads around here. :roll: :lol::):D
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Coward. I would have stood my ground.... :oops: :wink:
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    You did the right thing,as you say you were knackerd why take the chance.They were obivously looking to pick a fight why give em the satisfaction&also ruin your ride.Don't let the buggers get you down :lol:
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    always walk away from trouble, channel unrequited testo energy into your pedals

driver has a problem ,let him deal with it, don't let him set your agenda

and so on
  • antfly
    BenBlyth wrote:

That`s not what i`ve heard!
    TBH I would always try and avoid a fight with a stranger in the street if possible whether I was knackered or not {I hope softlad was joking} and I don`t get bothered too much by honking but this guy clearly wanted to take it further whether I ignored him or not.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Had a similar experience - except it was on a clear road so I stopped apologized for my existence and waited for the tosser to drive off.

Looking at the two aholes in the car I figured disagreeing with their assessment of me and cyclists would end up with injuries - mine. Also had the distinct feeling that ignoring them or giving them the finger would have resulted in me being under the cars wheels.

Too many aholes on the road full of anger and god only knows what chemicals. You may survive it in a car, but I wouldnt risk aggravating a situation as a pedestrian or cyclist.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    I was cycling up a 1:10 a couple of years ago and got overtaken by white van man and his mate hurling abuse about me slowing up traffic. My first reaction was to shout back (something about them resembling a crude word about the female anatomy). My second reaction was to think about what to do if they stopped, especially when I realised that there were two vans both with passengers. Thankfully they didn't stop but as I came down the other side of the hill they had stopped at a garage to get some fuel. Knowing that they couldn't get out of the garage anytime soon I took great pleasure in yelling at them and giving them another load of abuse before cycling off up the road and down an alleyway so they had no chance of following even once they had got back in their vans and out of the garage :oops: Not particulary brave but a real pleasure that left me grinning for hours after :lol::wink:
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    antfly wrote:
    BenBlyth wrote:

That`s not what i`ve heard!
    TBH I would always try and avoid a fight with a stranger in the street if possible whether I was knackered or not {I hope softlad was joking} and I don`t get bothered too much by honking but this guy clearly wanted to take it further whether I ignored him or not.

:lol:

You do right. There is just no point in scrapping with someone in the street. It won't teach them they were wrong and it certainly won't make you feel better. At least if you leave them stewing in their own anger you have the satisfaction you have probably ruined their whole day through having done nothing at all.

Some people just have real problems.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Have you noticed how the vast majority of the time there is more than one person in the vehicle. Says it all really.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    'tis true .. they always drive mob handed
    I had a run in the other week.. I too saw it best not to partake in street brawl.. tho on hindsight, I wish I had
    so
    driver of VN58LNT Fiat SHITE BRava or whatver CRQp car it was
    VN 58 LNT

YOU ARE A F@CKING PIMP and I'LL AVE YOUR BOLLOCKS WRAPPED ROUND YOUR ARSE NEXT TIME

hope he googles his car reg one day

PS
    I dont have issues
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    antfly wrote:
    .Thinking about it I probably should have got my phone out to take a photo,that seems to work for others.

I am still undecided whether that would help or not.....

surely some that mad to get out of thier car for a scrap, upon finding you farting around with a camera phone trying to take their picture, might simply shove you off your steed and take your phone??

Anyone had any good/bad experience with this technique?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    cee wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    .Thinking about it I probably should have got my phone out to take a photo,that seems to work for others.

I am still undecided whether that would help or not.....

surely some that mad to get out of thier car for a scrap, upon finding you farting around with a camera phone trying to take their picture, might simply shove you off your steed and take your phone??

Anyone had any good/bad experience with this technique?

A bus driver once reached out and grabbed my camera and flung it across a busy street. Funnily enough while I was picking the camera up quite a few people came up and slapped me on the back and told me Well done - the driver was a real a.rsehole - young arrogant bloke who though he was driving a racer, not a bus.

And the camera survived - still works two years later.

On the other hand - I've had quite a few drivers just put their head down and get out of the way - where otherwise violence was in the air. And I've managed to get a couple of complaints upheld becasue of the photographs.
  • p3t389
    p3t389 Posts: 15
    With all the bad kharma on the roads, walking or rather cycling off into the distance is always the best thing. You just don't know what these morons - products of the shallow end of the gene pool - are capable of. All too easily things can get out of hand and there are so many stories of innocent people being on the receiving end of some tosser's violence with tragic consequences. Just remind yourself, that though this wasn't the most pleasant of experiences there is someone infinitely worse off than you.......the poor bugger who he goes home to every night!!