Mouldy helmet

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I discovered on Sunday, with some alarm, that I've got mould growing on my helmet. There's a manky green stuff on the outside of the straps and white stuff on the inside on the polystyrene.

My first instinct was to throw it away and buy a new one - it's probably due it anyway - but one of my compadres said to plonk it in the freezer overnight. Would this work or are there better ways to deal with it?
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Scrub it off with shower gel and hot water in the shower?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Next time you do a handwash cycle with the washer and your kit, put it in the washer and turn the spin cycle off. At the end of the wash, remove the helmet and add a spin to the wash. Alternatively, take the helmet into the shower with you and give it a wash.
    M.Rushton
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Go see a doctor.
    Or up your personal hygene regime.
  • Crapaud
    will3 wrote:
    Go see a doctor.
    Is that a euphemism? Sounds like fightin' talk to me! :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    you can always tell when the helmet padding needs a clean - you get caught in a torrential downpour and think - hmm, this rain tastes salty...
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    jswba wrote:
    Scrub it off with shower gel and hot water in the shower?

+1 to that - soapy water should do the trick. Don't have the water temperature too high, mind.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Muc Off do a helmet cleaning foam!
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Crapaud
    Cheers, Wooliferkins, I'll keep that in mind - seems a tad excessive though.

I'll try the soapy water first... cheap'n'cheerful and all that.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    will3 wrote:
    Go see a doctor.

only 44 minutes! :lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Agree with what's said - dunk it in the shower at least once a week.
  • Crapaud
    will3 wrote:
    Go see a doctor.

only 44 minutes! :lol:
    There's a possibility that it was only 8.
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    I keep my helmet on in the shower anyway, saves having to brush my hair in the morning.

Also makes haircuts easier, just trims the bits that stick through the vents once a fortnight ;)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Crapaud wrote:
    Cheers, Wooliferkins, I'll keep that in mind - seems a tad excessive though.

I'll try the soapy water first... cheap'n'cheerful and all that.

It is excessive - it's designed for motorcycle or full face helmets with thick soft foam that doesn't come out.

For a bike helmet rinsing the polystyrene and cleaning the pads and straps with soapy water is all you need.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Crapaud
    Well, I gave it a good scrub today. I decided to use an anti-bacterial kitchen cleaner and it seems to have done the trick.

I was shocked at the amount of greasy gunk that came out of the pads. It was disgusting and made me feel a bit queasy. I'm going to start putting a few pennies away and get a new one.