Adjustable seatposts - all hype or do you believe?

Naveed
Naveed Posts: 728
edited June 2009 in MTB general
I've just ordered the PR Cobra i900 seatpost, I'm sick of having to stop and lose speed and rhythm to fiddle around with my seatpost. I got the lever operated one because the last thing I need is more cables and the lever looks pretty easy to adjust as it sits on the inside of the seatpost between the legs.

The opinion on these adjustable seatposts seems to be pretty split - has anyone got one or had one?

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Erm, surely its pointless unless you get the remote one. Otherwise it might as well be a QR seatclamp. :?:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've got speedball,ratty has a Cobra.Both are the under seat lever model and a good job too as they all seem to suffer from the same problem.You have to pull them back up :roll: They work ok for a bit then get a bit sticky.Having said that i/we wouldn't be without one now.The flow of the ride is better 8)
  • sniper68
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Erm, surely its pointless unless you get the remote one. Otherwise it might as well be a QR seatclamp. :?:
    Not true.Its just as quick when you get used to it.I can drop and raise mine in a couple of secs
  • Whytepeak
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Not true.Its just as quick when you get used to it.I can drop and raise mine in a couple of secs

It's also £150 more expensive :roll:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Whytepeak
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:

• sniper68
    Whytepeak wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:

Bought mine for £68 inc P&P off ebay 8) Having said that i'd happily splash out £150 having owned one.Couldn't imagine riding without one now.
  • Whytepeak
    Yeah well, everyman to his own an oll that :roll:

Still gonna stick with a good piece of Easton Alu rather than a load of oil and alu. It's lighter :wink:
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Same arguments everytime! :lol: Ibbos post at £68 was a bargain, cheaper than many folks standard post. Mine was bought before the price hike, and I wont be without one now. The new one when it comes out will be a bit of a bargain, and I'll be getting one of those as well...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I had another ride of following my mate Chris with his i900, and even though it's been non-stop hassle and already been returned once as it scored the stanchion, I'm getting steadily more jealous. At Glentress it's not so big a deal since most sections are either up or down, but we were at Drumlanrig at the weekend and every section's up and down then up then up then DOOOOOOOWN then up again, my saddle can't have been at the right height for more than a couple of miles.

So, maybe a gravity dropper's on the horizon for that sort of riding...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sniper68
    I agree they're not for everyone.
    I never dropped my saddle before as i couldn't be bothered,2nd nature now 8) They're not that heavy really.The new Specialized Command uses air instead of oil...but its £250 :shock:
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Once you get one... you'll never have dropped the saddle so much before!
    ibbo took a little converting, but as you can see... He wont do without one now either... One of the best things I've bought for the bike..
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I have the Crank Bros. Joplin and swear by it. When I bought it I didn't opt for the remote, but I've fitted one now. The remote makes life very convenient - especially the Joplin's remote as it's a joystick design that sits parallel on the bars and it doesn't matter whether you push down, pull up, left or right, the seatpost will drop (or raise) every time
    Cabling for the remote was neat as it piggybacked on my rear mech cable just fine.

The remote seatposts do cost, but it suits my riding just fine as I do have an All Mountain bike.

A Thread on the Joplin can be found here