Bike weight! old vs new

paulscutt
paulscutt Posts: 332
edited June 2009 in MTB general
I've got a heavily upgraded GT XCR4000 (08 RS recon 351's, fox float rl rear shock, sram x7/x9 groupset and mavic 317 disc front/hope xc and en521/deore xt rear) which currently weighs in at 33.0 lbs - a very heavy, getting on a bit, bike, i thought...

This wasnt helped by the fact that i recently demo'd a gorgeous 2009 Santa Cruz Nomad which felt extremely light in comparison and climbed much better even though it has much more travel - i was thinking that the weight of my bike was holding me back.

However i last weekend rode the Lapierre spicy 519 which, i was very suprised to see weighed pretty much the same as my ten year old GT I-drive! i was very unimpressed as i'd heard so much about the lapierre, but in real world was no where near justifible in paying over £2k for so little performance gain!

open the discussion...
**2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a much more capable bike for harder riding though! And probably tougher too.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it's not really a direct comparison, the Spicy is carrying 30mm more suspension and is built to use it... Also according to the bikeradar review the spicy is under 31lbs

The Santa Cruz Blur is lighter, but then for a comparable full build it costs almost 50% more than the Spicy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paulscutt
    yeah i agree it is a more capable bike with the obvious more travel etc, but for 10yrs of technoloical advances, i just would have expected it to be a bit lighter!

At the end of the day it means i wont be getting a lapierre, i'll be saving those extra few pennies for something i really think i worth paying for with the 09 SC Nomad. Really cant justify spending over £2k on a lapierre that weighs the same, even if it does have more travel - it just didnt feel as special as i was hoping it would...
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited June 2009
    yes it weighs the same but is not the same type of bike.

you are comparing apples with oranges.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    paulscutt wrote:
    At the end of the day it means i wont be getting a lapierre, i'll be saving those extra few pennies for something i really think i worth paying for with the 09 SC Nomad. Really cant justify spending over £2k on a lapierre that weighs the same, even if it does have more travel - it just didnt feel as special as i was hoping it would...

Not being funny but is it the right sort of bike for what you do? The Zesty's a lot closer to your current bike, the Spicy's 160mm is, well, enormous. If you're not using it, then there's not much point having it... I know myself, I do nothing at all that would justify that much bounce so a Zesty or similiar would make far more sense.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes it weighs the same but is not the same type of bike.

you are comparing apples with oranges.

Mmmmmm.... Apples and oranges.... 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    paulscutt wrote:
    Really cant justify spending over £2k on a lapierre that weighs the same, even if it does have more travel - it just didnt feel as special as i was hoping it would...
    You realise a Nomad that weighs about 30lbs is going to cost over £4k.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    I have a Dh bike that wieghs the same as my mates on hardtail from 12 years ago. what a rip off!!

never mind that I have 7" of coil in oil travel at either end, with a set of triple crown up front, a triple walled wheelset with motocross tubes in and a cold forged crankset.

you would think that two completely different bikes from a decade apart would be totally different, but they wieght the same!!

thats just crazy.
  • paulscutt
    Northwind wrote:
    paulscutt wrote:

Not being funny but is it the right sort of bike for what you do? The Zesty's a lot closer to your current bike, the Spicy's 160mm is, well, enormous. If you're not using it, then there's not much point having it... I know myself, I do nothing at all that would justify that much bounce so a Zesty or similiar would make far more sense.

I mainly now ride Glyncorrwg, when i bought the GT (4.7 inches of rear travel) i was living in leicestershire, home of precisely NO mountains! lol
    The nomad felt very much at home at afan/glyncorrwg and not at all ott.

yes, i do realise that a nomad w/ lyrik airs etc will be around £3.5k
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**