What's this bit of the bike called...?

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
It's the plastic disc which sits between the cassette and the rear wheel. I don't know what it's called! :oops: I noticed today that mine is cracked - does it matter? What does it do - it is to hold the cassette in place?
Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Its called a fugly bit of crap. Most cyclists would have it off a new bike before it reached home allong with the reflectors and bell!!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    It's a spoke guard, it helps to protect your spokes if the chain should come off between 1st gear and the spokes.

if your bike is set up properly you are unlikely to need it. if the chain comes off and jams then it is down lower than the guard.

it does not hold on the cassette.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • pottssteve
    Thank you for the replies, I think! :wink:

Mr/Ms bosh - my bike didn't come with a bell but I did go and buy some My Little Pony tassles for the handlebars.

andrewjoseph - thanks for the more practical advice. I won't be too worried if/when it falls off then.

Steve
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Spoke guards do serve a purpose for some. If you are unfamiliar with how to keep your derailers adjusted properly it may save you some trashed spokes if your chain comes off while shifting going uphill for instance. I'd say no harm in leaving it on until you know how a rear mech is properly adjusted. They are incredibly heavy though at about 50 grams and may require an extra rest stop plus you may be banned from riding near any "elite" cyclists. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dork disc
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Someone was asking the same question last week
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12627347

He called it a 'wheel/gear guard thingie', which is plenty descriptive I guess ! :lol:
  • The Bike Snob calls them "pie plates" http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

very funny daily blog.
    M_G
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No place on a bike for that thing. They are an abomonation.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    pottssteve wrote:
    my bike didn't come with a bell but I did go and buy some My Little Pony tassles for the handlebars.

I'm jealous, don't go telling me you also have spokey do'keys as well, or i might have to mug you
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    It's really, really nerdy to admit that one day you might, just might, f*ck up the limit adjustment on your rear mech. Personally I'm infallible
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    It's called surplus to requirement.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pottssteve
    Though I'm reluctant to admit it as the forum appears to be populated by professional cyclists, I ride a cyclocross bike (the shame).

Is it more useful to have a spoke guard on a 'cross bike, due to all the bouncing about?
  • brownbosh
    No guard on my cross bike dude!
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    It's called a T over A protector.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    leave it on there and then smoke the guys who laugh at you.

That said, I t've taken them off my mtbs as soon as I get the bikes home 'cause I don't like the look of them. I've not once had an issue with the chain over shifting or bouncing off into the wheel in my 20 odd years of mtbing.

I suspect they're put on the bikes by manufacturers as a litigation prevention measure.

M
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    MattC59 wrote:
    leave it on there and then smoke the guys who laugh at you.

That said, I t've taken them off my mtbs as soon as I get the bikes home 'cause I don't like the look of them. I've not once had an issue with the chain over shifting or bouncing off into the wheel in my 20 odd years of mtbing.

I suspect they're put on the bikes by manufacturers as a litigation prevention measure.

M

seem to mostly be the lower end of the market i don't think you see many if any once into middle/higher end bikes
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I confess I have occasionally unshipped a chain between the block and the rear wheel (usually on the tandem and when using non-indexed gears). It's never done any serious damage to the spokes other than minor marks. I have always built with stainless steel spokes so it doesn't even result in starting rusting.

Those plastic discs have no useful function and are potential causes of rattles.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    djbarren wrote:
    Only comes on bikes from the cheaper end of the scale?
    Rubbish my bike cost 1100 and came with one, although it is now removed. Thanks to a heads up from someone on this forum.

the only bikes i see with them are very cheap MTB's and some hybrids. buy a set of wheels over £100 and you'll struggle to find any with that disk, be that road/mtb what ever.
  • rally200
    djbarren wrote:
    Only comes on bikes from the cheaper end of the scale?
    Rubbish my bike cost 1100 and came with one, although it is now removed. Thanks to a heads up from someone on this forum.

the only bikes i see with them are very cheap MTB's and some hybrids. buy a set of wheels over £100 and you'll struggle to find any with that disk, be that road/mtb what ever.

nonsense Rog - my Allez Sport had one .

buy a wheelset & it won't come with a cassette either - but I reckon you need one
  • Webbio
    Webbio Posts: 7
    thanks for the style tips guys. I am superficial enough to care about these sorts of things and was mortified when I read this post. I'd been riding around with the 'dork disc' for around 6 months :oops:

It came off straight away!
    Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's bike
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    Jesus, you chaps seem to have a lot of criticism to throw about.

It makes little difference to anything other than asthetics.

(As long as your rear mech screws are correctly adjusted).

The greater concern is some of the thihgs you see sitting on bikes.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    It's not just cheap-end bikes.

Cannondale issued a product recall in the US earlier this year for some of their bikes which had been sold without them fitted

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09155.html
    Hazard: The bicycles fail to meet the federal safety standard for bicycles. Spoke protector discs, required on bicycles to prevent the bicycle chain from interfering or suddenly stopping the wheel, are missing from these bicycles. This poses a fall hazard to the rider.

The bikes were not beginners' cheapo bikes but more high-end stuff - 2009 Six 5, Six 6, Six Carbon 5 and Six Carbon 6, $1,500 and $2,100

- admittedly, most people riding that sort of bike would probably take the thing off as soon as they got home anyway...

Like the recall says
    Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

:lol:
  • pottssteve
    Jeez,
    Some of you people are uptight. :roll: I only asked a simple question and the self-appointed style police are out to truncheon me over the head for it. It's only a bit of plastic, although apparently to keep it on the bike puts me up there with Uncle Joe Stalin and Pol Pot for crimes against cycling....

In which case, up yours, it's staying on. :lol:
  • rally200
    I'm with Pottsteve - the pastic thing stays on now, just to p*ss other people off.

If it breaks, I wouldn't bother finding another one, but until then...
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i just want to say thanks to pottssteve for asking the question. tho my one is coming off as i think (i hope) i can safely say the rear mech is in good working order so no adjustment to the screws required.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    My stays on. Only to slow me down a little as I smoke you. Never gave it a second thought TBH.
  • pottssteve
    Aha!
    Revenge of the nerds!

Rally200, bobpzero and navt unite with me and RISE UP against the wave of cool.... We must wear our sh*tty plastic spoke guards with pride, together with our black socks and Aldi fingerless gloves, raised in the one fingered salute....

We are the SPOKE GUARDIANS. We paid for them, so we'll bloody well use them. :lol:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    One of my bikes had one of these on until very recently (so that would be me riding for over 2 yrs with it :oops: :wink: ).

I had a 4th spoke go, took the wheel to a mate to repair and it came back without one. He just said it wasn't really needed so removed it. I had a 5th spoke go in a matter of days so decided to ditch the quite frankly shocking "Alex Rims" wheels for Mavic Aksiums..... which came without the plastic disk thingy.
  • brownbosh
    Will the nerds revenge also being wearing peaked caps, camel backs and baggy shorts with furry legs? YYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUKKKK!
  • rally200
    I wear a peaked lid, baggies, and long black socks every day commuting on my Allez - some roadies just refuse to look at me, I think one actually vomitted. That said I feel I may be letting the side down a little as I haven't got a bell, or any refelectors.

My hybrid/happy shopper bike - that's another story, it's nerd paradise - full length guards, rack, bell, huge reflectors , and on the rear wheel (a totally inappropriate fake aero jobbie) a mix of silver & black spokes sets off a spoke protector the size of a dinner plate. Now just to really fly the nerdy flag perhaps I should wear my replica s works kit on the hybrid.

we all know that stock bikes come with the disk - is taking it off just a way of trying to look like you've paid out for an aftermarket upgrade?