STI cable routing

louismichaels
louismichaels Posts: 118
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Anyone know of a way to route STI gear cables neatly to allow the use of a bar-bag for touring?

Campag obviously route their gear cable under the bar tape, and obviously you can't do this with Shimano.

I 've half thought about using a couple of Rollamajigs or some V-brake noodles to create a smooth right angle straight downwards out of the levers, or using Nokon cable to kind of double back on itself and then under the tape.

Any experience with this issue out there?

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    ive seen it done with nokon- dont know any other method :?:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've done it with a Carradice Super C barbag and 105 STIs but so long ago I can't remember how. No special gadgets were involved though, think the cables went in front of the bag.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • MabBee
    MabBee Posts: 40
    Dont bother with Nokon. I tried them on a touring bike myself. Whilst the special routing does allow you to use a bar bag more easily, I found that the cables were prone to problems (kinking and wear of the liner). My nokons went in the bin last year.

When building a touring bike the axiom should always be 'keep it simple'. Nokon cables are not simple!

Using regular outers, cut overly long, you can usually get a bar bag to fit (although you may need to tilt the bag upwards a little).

Personally, I no longer bother with a bar bag. I have panniers fore and aft and thats enough. I find bar bags affect steering and stop you from bieng able to see the tarmac immediately in front of your front wheel (which reminds me, I have a crradice bar bag going spare, to put on ebay).